EC401 vs EC1000 ?

Updated
cicada71
Hi eveyone I've spotted a nice looking EC401 I can get at a good price but I've always wanted a EC1000 can anyone give me any ideaS on the differences between the 2 models, should I wait for the EC1000 ?
moosemeister

Yes. If you want to wait a little more. A few more hundred bucks can get you an ESP.

Zacky_VSV

I have an EC-1000 and I love it (except the 24 frets) It's most likely built better than a 401. You should really find them and play em a little so you can figure which is better for you.

Borked Bob

401 is indo made and the 1000 is korea i think. both have 24 frets, (unless you get a ec-401vh) I think the 1000 series has esp locking tuners or something similar and is just generally a better built guitar. 401 vh= full thickness 1000= belly cut and im not sure about the 401

Timothy Q.

I'm not sure about all 401s, but my friend has a 2011, and it has a deeper belly cut than my 1000.

sirsloop

I played one of those all black EC1000's last week... surprised me how light it was compared to my old LP and Viper 400... really nice tho! My Viper 400 and H-500 look and feel similar in quality tho...

Velt017

I'd look to see if you can grab an EC-400 or 500 they are both Korean built and don't have all the abalone that the EC-1000 has. The EC-1000s have locking tuners and the lower models have grovers. TBH I don't prefer one over the other so the extra cash for the EC-1000 seems to be a waste IMO because of that and all the abalone is ugly.

Except for the EC-1000VB (I think thats the model) its the black satin one with the gold binding and the ebony fretboard and no abalone. That one is worth every extra penny it costs over the 400 and 500s.

mansoncharles

Personally i'd go for an EC-1000 Vintage Black, those things are so sweet, will be my next guitar after I buy an amp.

Borked Bob

yes the VB's are pure win

cicada71

Cheers for the replies I may wait for the EC1000 but just one more question please the Hetfield Truckster what would that be the same as or what model did it start out as, similar to the EC400 or the EC1000 ?

Thanks.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Timothy Q.
cicada71 wrote:
Hi eveyone I've spotted a nice looking EC401 I can get at a good price but I've always wanted a EC1000 can anyone give me any ideaS on the differences between the 2 models, should I wait for the EC1000 ?

The main difference is the tuners, and the fact that the matte black/vintage black 1000s have ebony fretboards, whereas all 401s will have rosewood.  They're both fantastic instruments, and you wouldn't go wrong with either.  Just make sure it's a good price.

Daniel C.

The EC1000 has a maple top, the EC 401 has not as far as I know....

RockIt72

I just played a ESP 401V gold top with the anniversary Dimarzio PAF pups. Lets just say, I bought it. I'm always looking for the best action I can find more than anything else, electronics can always be modded. ESP's have great action from which I noticed from every time I've gone and pulled down a 1000, and to me the 401V was not much difference from the 1000 at all action wise, and the Dimarzios are just a big bonus for a cool $350 bucks!

evan north.

Dont forget that the more recent ec1000 models have a neck through the body whereas the 401 is a tenon joint.

The maple top on the ec1000 is not a true maple cap, it is more of a  veneer for decorative purposes. The abalone inlays may look a bit vivid in the  catalogued photos but these are taken in strong light to enhance its looks and also to enhance the appearance of the grain of its top wood. In reality they are a good bit more subtle.

I have read on this site that some of the ec1000 range has been made in indonesia recently due to costs of korean manufacture rising. 

Jeff W.

Hmmm i have them all. . I like them all too but save get a ec1000

Post to Thread