Purpose of binding?

Updated
ageyisgod
The fretboard? what benefits does this have on playability/durability/in general.
Justinschut

It binds the neck together, guitars without binding tend to fall apart easier..

nah, just kidding.. doesnt do much besides looking better in most cases

Mark K.

yeah, it's just cosmetic..

diggy

Its just cosmetic, but it does feel better to play a guitar with binding on the fretboard.

ageyisgod

Okay, so permission to tell the next person that says "guitars without binding suck" to hang themselves?

Justinschut

Okay, so permission to tell the next person that says "guitars without binding suck" to hang themselves?

That's like saying "guitars without inlays suck".

load more replies (1 of 1)
Mr. Wicked

Looks. Looks nice on some guitars, fails at others.

ageyisgod

hahaha, but guitars without inlays can be the devil sometimes.

Mr. Wicked

hahaha, but guitars without inlays can be the devil sometimes.

Not if you have the dots on the side of the fretboard. That's all I ever go by.

Justinschut

not always, sometimes it looks nice.. I usually prefer inlays tho

Gfunk

No inlays = Ghey

BroKV

To me the binding makes a guitar "pop". The color transition adds to the shape of the guitar (certain ones). Neck binding just looks classy to me.

onemilelost

If a guitar is 'Stealthed out', having no binding/inlays adds to the look. All flat black, ebony fretboard, the only thing that isn't black is the logo.

It is all up to the person choosing the guitar, whether they think it adds to or takes away from the look. To say that 'no inlays = Ghey'(not to single out Gfunk's post but..) is just as ridiculous as saying EMG's = Ghey. I can't stand EMG's but I still wouldn't say to someone that they shouldn't have them in their guitar.

As for the less wood thing....I don't really think that the amount of wood taken from the fretboard to add inlays/binding is really going to have all that much of difference on the tone.

OBSERVER

As for the less wood thing....I don't really think that the amount of wood taken from the fretboard to add inlays/binding is really going to have all that much of difference on the tone.
Neither do I. Simply adding a little input.
My Viper has binding and inlays all over the neck.

BroKV

Guitar = Ghey

Justinschut

why is a thread about the purpose of binding already 2 pages long ?

riku

the orignal point of binding was cover the end of the wood to stop anything getting into the grain.
with modern finishes it's just cosmetic, but on the neck it does make it feel different.

saunder s.

It's a great topic that many people are interested in. Moto X3M is a driving game with thorny terrain. Your aim is to drive to the finish line before the time limit expires and put on a professional performance as required for maximum star rating. Moreover, you also own many attractive and unique supercars

Post to Thread