What Tuning Do You Use And What Guage String And Guitar And Why?

Updated
garyjfoster
I Use D Standard With D'addario 11 Guage...its Not High Like Standard E ...its The Perfect Tuning For Me...and I Use A Gibson Explorer And Ltd Vipers All Modified
green_92_240sx

Drop C, C# standard, dropped B, b standard, and A#.

garyjfoster

yeah i dont like custom sets..bjorn from in flames uses elixer custom 12-68 for c standard and drop b flat...do you think thats too heavy on the low string?

onemilelost

yeah i dont like custom sets..bjorn from in flames uses elixer custom 12-68 for c standard and drop b flat...do you think thats too heavy on the low string?

I know Elixir makes a set of Baritone strings that are a 12-68. Talk about having to enlarge the tuning peg's whole! 68's are HUGE! Imagine taking the D string(if tuned to E standard) out of a set of bass guitar strings and using that for your 6th string.

EDIT:
FYI, The Elixir Baritone string gauges are 12-16-22-38-52-68

load more replies (1 of 1)
green_92_240sx

I thought In Flames played in A#

gorsch

13-66 or 68 or 70 (depends on what I feel like using) on a Gibby LP standard in dropped A.

I tune like this cause thats what my band tunes to. And I'm not a 7 string kinda guy. Tried it........wasnt me.

garyjfoster

as far as i know they only use c standard and drop b flat no 7 strings

green_92_240sx

as far as i know they only use c standard and drop b flat no 7 strings

Correct - C standard on Pre-Reroute To Remain albums and A#/B flat on everything RTR and foward.

No 7 stringers at all as far as I know - sixes only. They used to be endorsed by ESP I think. Jesper played the EX style and Bjorn played the EC style. Now they use gibson exclusive I guess - Jesper with the Explorers and Vs and Bjorn with the LPs.

blistered earth

dean markley / sit 11-52with the wound g standard/drop d ltd m-103fm and an old lp
dean markley 12s drop c/ drop a jackson js30 kv this one also has a new favorite tuning
DROP G# (think invisible kid by metallica or alot of cannibal corpse)

garyjfoster

wow 10 to 56 for standard E is fucking crazy

OBSERVER

Could be crazy but it fucking rules.

Boo17

It depends which song I'm playing, since I only have one electric guitar at the moment (besides crappy strat copy I don't like). I use DR Dime Hi-Voltage strings 10-46.

Lefty_Xplorer

10-52's on the Explorer, and 9-42's on the KH

Both tuned to standard E, but I often drop the Explorer to drop-D, standard Eb and even as low as standard C sometimes! Although I could do with at least a 54 for C - maybe even 56....

KH just stays in E as I can't be arsed to mess with the tuning on that!

OBSERVER

You could buy a 7-string set for the Explorer and take out the 26.
10, 13, 17, 36, 46, 56. Would be killer for C tuning.

Lefty_Xplorer

Good call dude!

titan amps

drop B, d'addario 7 string set (top & bottom 3, i leave the middle string off).

green_92_240sx

Why leave the 4th string off, single finger power chord isnt easy enough?

load more replies (2 of 2)
blistered earth

ive done that but i did (if in e std) bgdaEB

Borked Bob

ec-400vf 10-46 d'addario
MHB-400 13-something d'addario

DeathGimmicks

I use Standard 10 gauge Ernie Ball Heavy Top/Skinny Bottoms, and also standard 10 gauge Dean Markley Tuned Drop D

While the Dean Markleys take for ever to break in, the Ernie Balls are instantly ready to go and I play heavy metal with alot of palm muting, so both produce that "thud" but the Ernie Balls break in alot faster.

mrclean77

all guitars are in E with D'Addario .11-.49s

am currently considering which one I want to make my drop C guitar

all 25.5", have one 24.75" - trying to spam it, if not undecided what I wanna do with it, but it's not getting played

Pat_Collier

I have an EC-400 and I usually use GHS Boomers Custom Lights, tuned down a half. That way my low end gets a nice chunky beefy sound.

LTDnut

DR Light Top Heavy Bottom strings. .10 - .52
D standard
C standard
Drop C

great for my style of playing.

Post to Thread