ESP EX 350 pickups

Updated
chuffed-addick
Hi, I have a lovely dark red ESP ex 350 with EMG-HZ pickups in it. I was going to change the pups on my other guitar but comparing the 2 at volume the ESP seems to be lacking the volume and punch that I want... SO I want to keep the low end at the neck position that I have but want a louder more defined sound, also I want 1 to be heavy rhythm sound and 1 to be a wailing solo setting but want warm sounds when clean. I was thinking of 85/81 combo but as currently never used actives would rather stick to passive, so what do you guys reckon?? have been recommended di marzio evos and duncan supers. but when I use the di marzio site they recommend a mix of satriani and summat else! total confusion and yes I know everyone has an opinion but hey let's throw it out there!
Mark K.

try setting your pups higher, that may be an solution..
just play with the hight..

chuffed-addick

try setting your pups higher, that may be an solution..
just play with the hight..

already done and still real quiet... see I did the obvious!

load more replies (1 of 1)
jus10

If its really quiet, something may have gone wrong while soldering. If you dont solder right, you lose gain and volume. I'd recommend actives. Ever since I've tried them I haven't gone back. I would try them out first before you buy them. I'd love to see pictures of this EX!

jus10

Dactivator bridge isn't as hot as active EMGS. A little more bassy and less gain. The neck sounds a lot like active EMGS. In fact, I like it better than active emgs. I wouldn't get the evo 2 if you're looking for something really hot. It all depends on what you play.

andrei

no problem dude.

i was just as freaked out in the beginning too.
now, when i get a cheap guitar, first thing i do is take all the electronics out.
(and put something better back in)

and don't worry about asking anything you're not confindent about.
(in the tread, or shoot me a pm - i'm no guru, but i know the basics and i'll try to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction)

chuffed-addick

Well I opened her up last night, and looks totally different to the wiring diagram! so panicked and put the cover back on... I'll get a pro to do it!

blistered earth

Hi,
I have a lovely dark red ESP ex 350 with EMG-HZ pickups in it. I was going to change the pups on my other guitar but comparing the 2 at volume the ESP seems to be lacking the volume and punch that I want... SO I want to keep the low end at the neck position that I have but want a louder more defined sound, also I want 1 to be heavy rhythm sound and 1 to be a wailing solo setting but want warm sounds when clean. I was thinking of 85/81 combo but as currently never used actives would rather stick to passive, so what do you guys reckon?? have been recommended di marzio evos and duncan supers.
but when I use the di marzio site they recommend a mix of satriani and summat else! total confusion and yes I know everyone has an opinion but hey let's throw it out there!

if active go 81/60 or 85/60

or ya could do blackouts
dimebucker/jazz
tb4/sh2

x2n and dsonic
or dos evos

Post to Thread