Replacement EC-1000 nut

Updated
Kurais
I want to replace the Earvana nut that came standard with my EC-1000 with a bone nut. I know the nut is 42mm in length. Is there any other info I need to look for while looking for a replacement?
Borked Bob

i wouldnt do it... but if u have to, take it to a tech

5150-Viper

i wouldn't either, seems like a waste of a mod to me, but if your set on it, thats a job i would leave up to a tech aswell..

Kurais

I plan on taking it to a tech, I just wanted to know if there were differences in bone nuts that I should look for. I have a horizon II which has a bone nut, and I like that better.

el_destrukto

I want to replace the Earvana nut that came standard with my EC-1000 with a bone nut. I know the nut is 42mm in length. Is there any other info I need to look for while looking for a replacement?

I ABSOLUTELY recommend doing this. I have done this to every LTD guitar that I own. What you need is an unshaped Martin-sized blank. Your tech will have to custom shape it to fit the LTD. You can find them here:

StewMac Bone String Nuts

What you want is item# 6020

Kurais

Thanks!

Pharaoh

I ABSOLUTELY recommend doing this. I have done this to every LTD guitar that I own. What you need is an unshaped Martin-sized blank. Your tech will have to custom shape it to fit the LTD. You can find them here:

StewMac Bone String Nuts

What you want is item# 6020

+1...seriously. Bone it.

David U.

Regarding the nut, anybody knows the measurements of the bone on the ec-1000T/CTM? The site to find bone nut does not have #6020, the closest is “blank” for Martin #6020-V, but no 6020 only. Does it make a difference, is it the same one (6020-V vs 6020)? I guess this question would be for el_destrukto if he’s still around.

secondly, why reviewers think it is a bad idea? I have had 3 ec-1000 including esp ec-I, only have the ec-1000 deluxe black cherry see-thru. What I have as an issue is that the G-string never stays in tune, a couple bends and it is off!! Anybody with this issue? What to do? Had the same issue on the ESP Eclipse, took it to store, couldn’t fix it. I know “have not taken it to a luthier” but I’m really puzzled why on 3 different eclipse models, the same string goes out of tune. Any help, suggestions from similar personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

ESP Ltd user since 1997

tony z.

i have a EC 500 and have the same problem, thinking about to replace the tuners. Any info or experience with that G string?

jv m

Almost every guitar I have I immediately swap the stock nut with bone (unless it's already bone on there).  I recently got my first ever ltd guitar an ec-256.  To my surprise the gstring holds tune well.  And I bend a lot and use 11 gauge set.  I'm not a guitar tech guru but I think your gstring is causing binding on the nut.  That may be how the nut slot was cut or the angle of the front of the nut facing the headstock.  Maybe the slots need to smoothed out.  Or it could be the saddles on the bridge? Again I'm not a expert, but all my les pauls have gstrings that hold tune well.  Or maybe I'm just lucky in that part.  Anyway that's kinda weird especially on 3 high end guitars.

Why don't you try that nut sauce they've been talking about?  I hear it helps.

Post to Thread