Decisions, decisions.....

Updated
Michael A.
I am contemplating a NGD. Trying to decide between a Schecter Devil Custom or an ESP LTD H-500. Any thoughts? I know most of you will say H-500, this being an ESP forum and all. But, why? Schecter is really similar and comes with a Tone-Pros bridge that I have seen some people recommend as an upgrade on the H-500. Is there something else?????
njrusmc

H-500.

1. Not saying you are weak, but Shecters are thick/large bodied with thick necks, generally speaking. I hate thick necks.
2. The bottom of the body of the Devil Custom looks ridiculous. Thing looks 18" wide.
3. H-500 has an Earvana nut. I know this is controversial sometimes, but I swear by it.
4. H-500 has set-thru construction (versus set-neck of the Devil). The neck goes much deeper into the guitar similar to neck-thru, where a straight-up set-neck is similar to bolt on, except using glue. I haven't seen the heel of the Devil, but I can vouch for LTD heels: nonexistent!
5. I have looked at a few websites, and overall, the H-500 seems to cost less.

What you should do: go to a guitar store and play both. If you can't, find a friend with an LTD MHNT or H guitar, even if its not a 500. Get a feel for the general guitar overall; the neck, body, and frets don't really change.

Michael A.

I think I will look at the H-500. I played both the other day. The body of the Schecter is really small and compact. I like the neck of the ESP better. I currently have 4 ESP's and 1 Schecter so I guess I do favor them. The other thing that I noticed about the H-500 was that when played acoustically, it was much more resonant than the Schecter. It was like my EC-400AT. Everything rings loud and clear. I just really don't like the new headstock on the Horizons. I would love to find and older model with the cockstock like Lucky13 suggested......but they seem hard to find. I guess people that have them don't want to let them go.

Butch

Also consider the Mh400nt if you are looking at non-trem. The thinner necks are the M series, but idk if you want floyd.

If all that fails then go ibby.

Michael A.

Okay....checked out a MH400NT on the web. Other than the headstock........what's the difference between it and the H-500? I see a quilt top versus a flame top......but everything else looks to be the same. Am I missing something? I could really live with the MH headstock, it would remind me of my Jacksons of yore.

njrusmc

I love my MH-400NT. Other than the headstock, I don't think there are any differences. You can double check the specs on this website.

Michael A.

Did they ever make a MH400NT in the Blue finish? I only saw the black........blue would rule!

njrusmc

Did they ever make a MH400NT in the Blue finish? I only saw the black........blue would rule!

Not certain, but I do not think so. The MHNT series are relatively new (5 years or so) and I do not recall seeing any blue 400's ones floating around. Seen red though, I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: The black is badass too, don't worry.

njrusmc

Good find, but understand that's an ESP Horizon, not an LTD MH-400. Absolutely beautiful guitar, better quality than an LTD, but consider the price. You seem like an experienced player so I feel foolish in saying that, but considering this is the LTD forum I felt obligated to notify you.

Michael A.

Good find, but understand that's an ESP Horizon, not an LTD MH-400. Absolutely beautiful guitar, better quality than an LTD, but consider the price. You seem like an experienced player so I feel foolish in saying that, but considering this is the LTD forum I felt obligated to notify you.

I know.....I was originally looking at the H-500 because my local shop has one in stock. Then I was turned onto the MH series above in this thread. I wasn't looking to spend that much, but when I saw it.........that is exactly what I have been looking for. Plus, it would look good next to my Eclipse II Standard. Thanks for looking out for me though.

Butch

Well in case the h500 is still an option:

pics of mine:

Squeeze here.

Post to Thread