Need some info. about necks on the ESP's..

Updated
theDogger
OK here is what I have going on. I currently own a LTD QC series and Epiphone ZW Bullseye. I am looking for a new axe, actually looking at the KH-602 Jackson Dinky MG, Schecter Damien and Hellrazor FR's. Also not a huge fan of Ibanez but I am open to suggestions. I saw that the George Lynch ESP have a 45mm nut width but a little more than I want to spend. Looking in the $400-$1000 range(No where locally to actually play all of these.) So here is my question. I have larger hands and the issues that I have with my current guitars are the following. The EC neck is not tall enough feels like a am choking a chicken and I have a tuff time getting the chords to sound clear and clean. The ZW is better but the neck is to thick. Feels like a fat baseball bat. So having said that I am looking for a thin profile that is taller allowing for less accurate placement of the finger tips on chords. Looking for a little more space between the strings if that is possible. I hope that this makes sense... I prefer to buy another ESP/LDT as am happy other wise with the EC. theDogger
OutlawTorn

EC neck not tall enough? meaning....not wide enough?

xchumfiestax

EC neck not tall enough? meaning....not wide enough?

maybe there is an issue with the 24.75 scale?

load more replies (1 of 1)
sirsloop

So I think what you are saying is you want a thin-u neck profile, with a wider nut and longer scale. The MH series necks are super thin, 25.5", but the nut is skinny (42mm). The Viper has a wider feeling neck profile, I think the same 42mm width nut (but I think the fretboard is a little wider feeling), but its only 24.75 scale. M series LTD's have a 43mm nut, 25.5" scale... same as the KH-602's. If you want a super wide nut, check out the George Lynch models. I'm not sure if you'll get any for a grand, but some of his necks go to 45mm... I think those are all $$$ ESP models tho. For the record I have huge hands and sometimes wish they made a 25.5" Viper... the scale really makes a difference past like the 15th fret. Its not all better with the 25.5"...I can pull off some sick stretches on a shorter scale neck!

theDogger

So I think what you are saying is you want a thin-u neck profile, with a wider nut and longer scale. -sirsloopYes that would be putting it the best way. Thanks..... Not so worried about the scale as I am the width at the top by the nut. With my hands being large I constantly find myself muting stings in chords because of lack of space. I am also sure that my lack of experience (1.5 yrs) do not help. So for example if I am trying to play this

1st:-------12----------12----------12----------12-----|
2nd:----13----13----13----13----12----12----12---12-|
3rd:-14----------14----------12----------12-----------|
4th:---------------------------------------------------|
5th:---------------------------------------------------|
6th:---------------------------------------------------|

1st:-------14----------14----------12----------12------|
2nd:----15----15----15----15----13----13----13----13-|
3rd:-12----------12----------14----------14------------|
4th:----------------------------------------------------|
5th:----------------------------------------------------|
6th:----------------------------------------------------|

Going from through the transitions I always end up muting say the 14th fret with the 15th finger. Trust me I have practiced, practiced, practiced...

thanks for the help...I think that I am going to look into the KH-602

theDogger

(To give you an idea of my hand size measuring from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger is 8 3/4")

metalhobo

I feel like such a fanboy for knowing what that song was right off the bat :lol

I too dislike how many ESPs have the narrower 42mm nut. I advise you to try out the Willie Adler signature. I believe it has a 45mm nut. The George Lynch ESP Strats (not the LTDs) like the Kami, Tiger, and Skulls also have a wide 45mm nut if you're looking for a Strat shape.

OutlawTorn

I feel like such a fanboy for knowing what that song was right off the bat :lol

+1...

:lol

sirsloop

little kirk action eh? or does the jamez play that part?

btw, the problem with that part isn't really the width of the neck.. you gotta bend those fingers over and fret on the ends of your fingers.

OutlawTorn

little kirk action eh? or does the jamez play that part?

teh jaymz im believez

sirsloop

try this little kse lick out too... it'll really help with your pick control while back stroking over the thinner strings. Clean channel and drag the pick over the strings almost like a slow sweep/arpeggio... 3, 3, 0...3,3,0... etc...

1st:--3--------3---------5---------3-----------3--------|
2nd:----3--------3---------3----------3-----------3-----|
3rd:-------0---------0---------0----------0-----------0~|
4th:-----------------------------------------------------|
5th:-----------------------------------------------------|
6th:-----------------------------------------------------|

1st:--3--------3---------7---------5-----------3--------|
2nd:----3--------3---------3----------3-----------3-----|
3rd:-------0---------0---------0----------0-----------0~|

1st:--3--------3---------7---------5-----------7---5---3|
2nd:----3--------3---------3----------3-----------------|
3rd:-------0---------0---------0----------0-------------|

1st:--2----2-2--3~----3---------------------------------|
2nd:------------------3--------------------------------|
3rd:------------------2---------------------------------|

simon4ever

there used to be this table around here on the boards of neck dimensions, nut widths and so on. does anyone still have that and could post it? i'd be interested too

Loupeitak92

Are you sure your technique is ok? I also have preety big hands and fingers and i can play really well on 43mm wide necks. However i can't play on other guitars and often mute strings too, so i know how it feels ;)

sirsloop

yeh... i can play it fine too on my TINY MH-250NT neck... its gotta be how you are fretting. You can't fret with the pads of your fingers there. Its gotta be on the tips.

theDogger

yeh... i can play it fine too on my TINY MH-250NT neck... its gotta be how you are fretting. You can't fret with the pads of your fingers there. Its gotta be on the tips.

I hear ya...Trust me I have sent hours trying. If I take my time and make sure I have good placement it is OK but when trying to play it to speed I always end up muting 1 string.....Hell in the last 2wks I think that my callouses are thicker than they ever have been.

Now on the EPI ZW that I have the fret board is wider and a little easier to play on but the thickness of the neck I do not like. I guess if I have to I will shell out the extra clams for a 45mm nut if it gives me more room between the strings.

theDogger

sirsloop

if you put a wide nut on a thin neck, your strings may have a tendency to slip off the side of the fretboard.

Metallikid

45mm nut is all you need.

Post to Thread