difference between mh-400 and h-400

Updated
simon4ever
hey everyone! i own an mh-400 and i'm considering getting a h-400 (cockstock) additionally. the only thing that bugs me is the fact the i guess that it's pretty much the same guitar, right? sure, the pickups are different, but it's all the same wood. or is there a difference in body weight/thickness? my bandmate plays a schecter hellraiser c-1 with completely identical specs, but due to the heavier body it has more low end. so if anyone had a chance to compare these two guitars - hit me :)
Gfunk

MH-400s have Floyds, and cockstock H-400s have stoptails.

Wood is the same. Tonally I would think they would be similar depending on the individual guitar.

simon4ever

oh i forgot to mention that it's an mh-400nt, so there's no floyd either

but thanks, that's what i expected.

MV-CTM

pretty sure the tummy cut is deeper on the H series guitars

sirsloop

Biggest difference is the bridge, inlays, and headstock from what I can tell. I've never played a H, but my MH250NT is very strat like. Nice guitars...

simon4ever

Has there always been a maple neck on the MH-400NT? I bought mine some years ago (back when it was 81/81) and i thought is had a mahogany neck too.

Gfunk

I've never played a H, but my MH250NT is very strat like.

I have never played an "H" or "MH" that I considered "Strat-like". The shape is vaguely Strat-based, but the feel and sound is not similar at all, IMO.

Has there always been a maple neck on the MH-400NT? I bought mine some years ago (back when it was 81/81) and i thought is had a mahogany neck too.

I have never seen a mahogany neck MH-400NT, nor have I ever seen the specs stating it has a mahogany neck, maple only.

sirsloop

I have both a strat and a MH250NT... granted the strat has a carvin neck on it. Both are the roughly the same weight, have almost the same body shape, roughly the same gut cut, both string through (granted different bridge), both 6 inline, mine is roughly the same neck shape with the carvin neck... idk... its like calling a Viper "SG like", or a EC "LP like". Sound depends on pickups... if you have a 400 then you've got actives.

Gfunk

its like calling a Viper "SG like", or a EC "LP like".

Thats my point. IMO, a Viper is not "SG-like", and an EC (non-FT) is not "LP-like. The body shapes are vaguely similar, but the sound and feel are not even close.

Post to Thread