New guitar: M-1000 or M-II?

Updated
SheepMoose.
Hey guys. I'm able to get either one of the following guitars, an LTD m1000, or a used ESP M-II. Both for the same price. Now I know the ESP is considered the better guitar, but there were some things that were pushing me back from getting it. The M1000 is neck thru, where as the M-II is bolt on. Will this affect fret access up high? I'm mainly looking for the best fret access possible. (Small hands ;) ) The M-II doesn't have a tone knob. Which would be a plus. And I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of routing and re-finishing for a tone knob. The ESP also has a bland finish, but I don't mind that. With that stuff said, which guitar would be the better choice?
Put

it seems like you've got your choice allready made.

I guess if it came down to looks you should take the m-1000.
I think the m-1000 plays as good as the m-II BUT it could very well be that the M-II is gonna feel moor versatile

andrei

M-ii

LTDnut

They are both pretty much the same considering the tone, but the looks, and the comfort, the M1000 is better. Then again the MII is not an LTD ;]

metalhobo

They are both pretty much the same considering the tone, but the looks, and the comfort, the M1000 is better.

No way dude. Having played both in stores, the M-II was miles ahead in terms of playability and comfort. The bolt-on heel is not a large obstacle, for it is much smaller than the typical Fender style heels. I found no problem in reaching all of the frets. The abalone on the M-1000 sucks big-time as well is terms of looks, and the M-1000 has a painted neck, while the M-II's has a satin finish.

Tone knobs are overrated.

For $500 more (new), I would definitely get the M-II.

load more replies (1 of 1)
andrei

there is a good reason why it says "ESP" on the M-II headstock.

they aren't similar, or they whould have had the same name and pricetag.
if the M-II is in good shape, get it!

LTDnut

The only BIG difference, is where they were made. Korean made guitars are cheaper than Japanese crafted guitars because the japanese are great craftsman.

you romanian?

OutlawTorn

yea...if your debating on a deluxe LTD and a ESP model...go get the ESP you'll be happier!

ozzuk1

Go for the M-II, a better made bolt on will be better than an ok made neck through, and the angled neck plate on the M-II means the upper fret access isnt so bad...

I had an M-202, which was ok for upper fret access.

the ESP will likely be a much more resonant and sound better, you could have a tone knob/pot added, or just wire one into the cavity...

LTDnut

yea...if your debating on a deluxe LTD and a ESP model...go get the ESP you'll be happier!

nice so am i :]

MyApocalypse

m-II dude.

MV-CTM

the ESP M and MV heels are a lot smaller than LTD ones, get the M-II

SheepMoose.

Tone knobs are overrated metalhobo? I think not. I use my tone knob a lot on most of my guitars. And I'm not sure whether it'd be worth routing a space for a 5 way selector switch (which I prefer).

metalhobo

And I'm not sure whether it'd be worth routing a space for a 5 way selector switch (which I prefer).

A 5-way switch is useless on a guitar loaded with EMG 81/81

If you really need a tone knob, you can try using a concentric pot, but I'm not sure if you can get one that's the same diameter as the normal one. Try looking around.

nitrous2400

either way go neckthru

metalhobo

Is it possible to play the M-II? If so, definitely try it out and form your own opinion.

SheepMoose.

No it's not.
I've played an M series LTD, So I've got a basic idea on the neck shape. But I could be wrong.

I'll have to duck into a local store soon and see what they've got.

nitrous2400

ha good luck mr moose its good to see sum other HCAF guys on here :)

SheepMoose.

Haha take it easy Brandon. Was nice talking to you. ;)

And thanks for the advice!

LOL

Go for the M-II dude. Trust us, you'll love it more. The LTD may seem like a better guitar at the moment, but I've played both, and the M-II's are far superior.

OutlawTorn

Go for the M-II dude. Trust us, you'll love it more. The LTD may seem like a better guitar at the moment, but I've played both, and the M-II's are far superior.

i'm not knocking ltd but ive always seemed to have a neck issue with them 5-10 years down the road...they start to buzz....ESP NEVER....they truely are superior to the LTD brand

SheepMoose.

Nice guitars man.

I'm guessing you like the M-II's over the M-1000's.

Post to Thread