Ibanez vs LTD

Updated
Juan David
im hopping to buy a new guitar this month, i have been looking around and right now im betwen and LTD deluxe M-1000 and an Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z, they both go for the same price and are very similar guitars. Any recomendation or advices?? i really dont know wich one should i buy and would like to hear others opinion.
gab4554

Did you try them before?

What do you want on your guitart?
EMG or DiMarzio?
Original Floyd rose or Edge Zero ?
Set-thru or Bolt-on?
XJumbo frets or Jumbo Frets?
Abalone or no Abalone?

try both of them.

I wouldnt buy the Ibanez since I hate Ibanez for many reasons. And I wouldnt buy the M-1000 cause I hate abalone. So Id get the ESP M-II NTB.

So try both of them before buying any guitar

Piney Hills Music

get the LTD, or if you dont like the abalone, get a schecter.

I am not a fan of IBEENHAD

ShreddyMcFunTits

It's all self-preference really.

I have both an EC-1k and an RG2610E. Both of which hold up really well against each other on the whole but each doing better in the areas there meant for.

My EC has a really fat chunky tone to it but with any fret beyond 18 being hard to grasp while my Ibby is sleek and fast for those really cool solos but tone wise is not as full as my EC (Still a nice tone though, just not as nice as the one My EC makes).

The only reason people here are saying to get the Ltd is because they personally don't like Ibanez. Just because one person doesn't like it doesn't mean you shouldn't. Try them both out and see what you personally think. You'll be able to make a better choice that way.

njrusmc

Ibanez Prestige guitars are Japanese made, which is nice. LTD's are Korean factory made.

However, most Ibanez's are basswood bolt-ons with Ibanez stock pickups, versus a mahogany/maple set-thru or neck-thru with EMG's. Would you rather drive a Ford Taurus built by hand or a BMW factory made? I pick the LTD or BMW everytime.

sirsloop

Ibanez Prestige guitars are Japanese made, which is nice. LTD's are Korean factory made.

However, most Ibanez's are basswood bolt-ons with Ibanez stock pickups, versus a mahogany/maple set-thru or neck-thru with EMG's. Would you rather drive a Ford Taurus built by hand or a BMW factory made? I pick the LTD or BMW everytime.

Exactly. I loved my RG when I first got it, then got my hands on a few LTD's and quickly decided that the Ibanez was junk. It was mostly the neck... I don't like the wizard II compared to the LTD necks. Also, bolt on was a turn off for me, and the LO-TRS FR sucked. The stock INF pups were shotty too. IDk... IMHO the ESP/LTD is where its at. Ya know, lots of people like RG's and like the Wizard II neck. Go to a store and play the guitars... see what you think. Asking Ibey vs LTD on the LTD forums is gonna get you a biased answer. We all already made that decision for ourselves.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ShreddyMcFunTits

Instantly assuming basswood, bolt-ons and dimarzio pickups are shit.

Yes basswood doesn't have the greatest tone I'll give it that, but my Ibby Prestige is of a high grade basswood, I personally prefer it to my V-350 (set neck, Mahogany and EMG's) but is still beaten by my EC-1000 (again set neck, Mahogany and EMG's). In it's defence though, I got my Ibby for £200 less than my EC-1k so it's to be expected that it isn't as good.

If you don't like the bolt on, there are plenty of RGT's out there which are neck-thru.

dimarzio pickups would be hypocritical of me to comment on since I've only had experiences with Seymour Duncan and EMG's.

What I'm trying to say here is don't just go with the peoples opinion here and think "I'll get the M-1k because some people on the internet told me Ibanez were shit". Try both out and see what you think personally.

ZephMan

Thats the stupidest comparison ever. Ibanez is way better quality than any LTD, most of the people here that are saying bad things about Ibanez have probably never even played one.

load more replies (1 of 1)
morphius1

my brother owns a KH-602 and an Ibanez RG121 something or other. and they both play amazingly. I think that if you're going for a more lead guitar aproach then get the ibanez. but if you're wanting quality trem then m-1000 tbh...

Robotsatemygrandma

Personally I think the Ibanez is a load of bullshit. Your looking at a guitar with crap hardware (pickups, tremolo, tuners) and a bolt on neck. Granted Ibanez is great with bolt on necks I think this is a bottom of the barrel Prestige Series guitar. Ibanez' quality control has been much like Jackson's these past few years IMO equals not so good. Don't think I'm bashing Ibanez because it's an Ibanez - that guitar took my interest too. IMO you're just buying the Prestige name.

For the money, I'd invest in the LTD or a Schecter. With the LTD your getting better hardware and good pickups... which can make or break the guitar. Sure it's made in Korea but it's a Deluxe Series LTD which means hopefully it'll be of better quality then the sub 400 series guitars, which IMO are great guitars!

If you can wing it save up a few extra hundred and buy a ESP MII or buy one used on Ebay for the same price as a new M1000.

Juan David

Thanks a lot for the replies, i really wanted to hear others opinion about the two guitars. I think i will be getting the LTD, not because most people here told me to, but you really helped me to made up my mind

njrusmc

My buddy owns the RG1570, and it certainly does not have DiMarzio's. They are like IBZ7 and IBZ8 or something. I am yet to play it. I am not assuming that bolt-on necks (which the 1570 is) and basswood are shit, but I will assert that on the average, they are less desirable and are of lower quality than mahogany/neck-thru construction.

The same guy is a diehard Ibanez player and I am likewise for LTD. So, I have heard what his 500-600$ Ibanez guitars sound like and we both agree, my comparable LTD's sound better. That being said, I do not trust the Prestige quality.

Mr Pigwalk

My Ibanez came with designed by EMG pickups. Easily the worst pickups I've EVER heard. Everything else on the guitar is perfect.

ESP

Go Ibanez. Or, like our ESP Premier dealer Piney recommends, possibly Schecter.

sirsloop

Go Ibanez. Or, like our ESP Premier dealer Piney recommends, possibly Schecter.

Lol... get anything except an ESP. HAHAH

metalhobo

I like basswood better than mahogany or alder. I played a Music Man JP-6 and the tone from that guitar slayed anything I've ever heard (That guitar is a bolt-on as well). I'm not saying you should buy the Ibanez, I'm saying prejudicing against bolt-ons and basswood is ridiculous.

Piney Hills Music

Actually, not all Prestiges are made in Japan, some are made in Korea.

the Schecter will be almost the same guitar as the LTD, so if you dont like the abalone on the LTD, you can go that route. ESP owns Schecter and the LTDs and Schecter are very close in feel and design (not exact but very close)

njrusmc

I have always been a firm believer than Ibanez guitars are a ripoff anyway :)

Like my original argument, generally all you are paying for is a little extra build quality and consistency. I would much rather invest in better woods and hardware, and LTD is absolutely unmatched for midrange guitars (400 series level). Granted, their 50's and 100's are beatable for certain. Of course, this is all my opinion :)

Piney Hills Music

also from what i understand, they are starting to move a LOT of teh prestige guitars to Korea...

villain

I like both Ibanez and ESP guitars!! My 540S or my RG1570 are sick!! My 400NT and 400 kick ass!! I love them both and could part with either. I must say i love the feel of a Wizard or Prestige neck! Without a doubt FASTER! FASTER! FASTER!

ScytheMan

esp FTW

njrusmc

Stupidest comparison, eh? Until you can formulate something less "stupid", I suggest you withhold your criticism.

Second, you are asserting that Ibanez guitars are higher quality yet I have proven that generally, the hardware is very much inferior. If your argument is that Ibanez quality is greater than LTD quality then please provide some useful or constructive evidence. In this way, all who read can learn something. Thanks.

Mr Pigwalk

IMO the Indo and Korean RG's are kind of meh for the hardware and woods used. In that bracket I'd take a LTD 300-400 series. The lower priced S series is MUCH better to my ears and hands than the RG's. More in line to the 300-400 series range.

Post to Thread