Active pickups...

Updated
pottedsalad
I'm thinking of getting the V500 but not too sure about how long the pickups will last (as in run out of battery), anyone know how long they usually last if I use the best batteries?
ShreddyMcFunTits

A good few months. Next question.

pottedsalad

Ahhh right, cheers mate, do you own one?

gab4554

well depands how often you play. When you dont play unplug your guitar so the battery are going to last longer. BTW youll know when your battery are going to run out of power.

correct me if im wrong

load more replies (1 of 1)
Gil

I've replaced my batteries once in the last 6 months or so and it was more just for me. but then again it isn't my full time guitar and it didn't need to be changed. It all depends on you and if you have more than one guitar unless you don't play the other one it'll last you quite a while. remember to unplug the guitar while not playing as it will drain your battery if you don't.

njrusmc

like i play all the time so it only lasts me about a month or so

I don't know if I believe that one. I play about 2 hours per weekday and 4-6 on the weekends. I installed new batteries on January 8 2008 and they are still fine. You will get about 1500 hours out of one battery over 2 pickups, given that you unplug your guitar and break the circuit when you are not playing.

Even if you left your guitar plugged in for a month straight, 24 hours a day x 30 days a month = 720. So you would get at least 2 months if you played nonstop.

Metahead

are you supposed to unplug the cable from the guiar side, or the amp side?

i run mine guitar to pedal to amp, i always unplug the guitar side of the pedal, because of the pedal battery, should i unplug that cable from guitar and pedal? (hope that wasnt confusing)

Shreddy

When the cable end is in the guitar, it's a closed circuit so it drains battery, just like your pedals :)

njrusmc

Unplug it from the guitar and the pedals, metahead. I put my guitar in its case every night anyway so its not an issue here.

Metahead

Unplug it from the guitar and the pedals, metahead. I put my guitar in its case every night anyway so its not an issue here.

:( so ive been killing my baby, i feel bad now

ColeJustesen

I was under the impression they would last closer to 3000 hours, even with two pickups. The biggest thing is to just unplug your cable from your guitar when you are done playing. When I originally had EMGs I had a single battery in the guitar for a year with no issue, and I usually played 2-3 hours a day.

Cole

DeathrollJM

I was under the impression they would last closer to 3000 hours, even with two pickups. The biggest thing is to just unplug your cable from your guitar when you are done playing. When I originally had EMGs I had a single battery in the guitar for a year with no issue, and I usually played 2-3 hours a day.

Cole

my ibanez bass when i got it, somewhere in the manual it says that a battery will give it 3000 hours of playing, its down to the pickup strength, but active in general last between 1500 and 3000 hours.

njrusmc

Given two EMG's drawing 80ua current = 2 x 80ua = 160ua
Typical 9V alkaline battery 625mAh = 625,000uAh
Thus 625mAh / 160ua = 3906.25 hours

Or, with a 500 mAh battery = 3125 hours

Post to Thread