Viper 100-FM Tone problem

Updated
Avenyr
Hi, I've had an LTD Viper 100 for a bit more than a year and always thought the guitar sounded odd... over time, with a better knowledge and experience of tones, I realized the tone of the guitar was absolutely awful. I found out the tone pot was not working so I had it changed and now it's working but the tone of the guitar is awful. For a reference, I have tried to compare it using 2 of my other guitars( Ibanez RG320 and Ibanez JS1000) using a Peavey Mini-Colossal which has a single volume and tone knob. I plugged in the Viper with the guitar tone and volume at 10 as well as the tone on the amp at 10 for very bright sound. That setting with the Viper sounds darker and muddier than my RG320 with cheap Powersound pickups plugged in with the guitar tone at 0 and the amp tone at 0. I have changed one of the Viper pickups for a powersound of my RG320 after upgrading it and it did improve a bit but not much. I'm trying to find out what could the problem with the guitar be. I would like to get a decent tone out of this guitar but I do not believe the Agathis wood of the guitar could crap out a tone this badly. If anyone has an idea let me know ! Thanks :D
flimz

Well, if the tone of the guitar itself is bad then pickups are just gonna amplify that. Some pickups might have different eq's to help certain things, but its not gonna change too much. How does the guitar sound when unplugged? Is it dull and lifeless compared to your other guitars? As for agathis, I can offer this....I have a new EC400VF and I also have a Viper 50. I know the viper is the lowest on the totem pole, but I bought it as a backup. However, I tried several of em before I bought it. My viper weighs just as much as the EC. Its very heavy for a viper 50. The EC does sound better I will admit, but the viper is not far behind. Im sure if I put better pups in it, it would be nearly a tie with the EC. I do one day hope to upgrade to a 400 viper. Having said that...your situation might just be a bum chunk of wood. Go check out another viper and see if it exhibits the same tones (or lack of) you have with yours. Some people have put emg's in their less expensive vipers and have been very happy. But most people will tell u not to waste your money. My advice is to go and compare, then decide what you need to do.

Post to Thread