FX-400 vs EX-400

Updated
Metal_Militia
which would u consider, i am debating between these 2 guitars the price is pretty much the same so i just wanna know what u guys out there think would be a better purchase
daddydoomsday

I love my FX-400. These guitars are neck heavy, so I moved the strap button to the back of the neck heel, like my gibson goth explorer. One of my favorite guitars, after the mod.

anyways its all up to you. I wouldnt mind getting a white EX-400.

uberwigget

I'd say it mainly depends on your color preferences and if you like the feel of a natural finish neck or a gloss finish neck. I love my fx400. The only reason I'd take an fx over an ex is the natural really smooth feel of the neck.

EXPer

I kinda like the explorer with that F headstock, but im not a big fan of the natural finish on the explorer, so if it where me id go with the EX400

Gil

can't go wrong with some good looking spalted maple :). at least from what I can tell from the ones who posted their fxs.

Metal_Militia

i really do like the overall finish on the FX
tho is there any difference whatsoever between EX400 and FX400? as in playing and spec.

capoeiraesp

Playability I would have to go with the fx-400. She's smooth as mate. I've only played the diamond plated ex-400. Two different ones but the necks and fretboards were fuckin horrible. I actually prefer the neck feel of the fx-400 over my mh-1000

Metal_Militia

does anyone know how to get custom inlays if I were to order the FX400?

Metal_Militia

now the sound isnt too different between them is it?

capoeiraesp

Well, emg's being active an all rely less on quality of woods than passives in order to produce a good tone, both guitars have mahogany bodys so i'd say there'd be no noticable difference unless you have considerably different grades of wood. I don't have the best knowledge on what a mahogany/maple neck would be like compared to a mahogany neck but I can't imagine there would be a huge difference. Get out there and try em back to back dude and i'm sure the FX will be the winner for ya

N3rdAl3rt

neither

ShreddyMcFunTits

neither

Great contribution from the mouth of Ineffable wisdom.

Anyway I'd say the FX, I tried it out at a store near me, the neck felt a lot smoother and faster than the EX because of the satin neck. Sound wise they both wasn't much of a difference, but there was a very slight warmth from the FX (probably due to the maple). Would have bought the FX there and then if it wasn't for the poor spalted top. If you're going to get one, try it out first, that way you can see if you like the top because there are a few rather ugly ones out there.

Metahead

ya get a mh 400 nt if you dont like floyds

Metfuk

I tried the EX400 white colour last year and it played just as good as my Gibson. Never seen the FX in real life yet so I can't give an opinion.

Justinschut

I like those FX´s, might get one some day. I do want to hand pick it tho and not just order one from a site, cuz some of the spalted tops look nice and some look kinda boring or not so nice.

For now, I have the EX400BD and I used to have the EX351, great guitars. Havent moved the strap button yet tho.

Metal_Militia

alright, i will probably end up doing the same

though for where the strap button was before, what did you do with the hole? did you just leave it, or fill it up, if so how did you?

daddydoomsday

alright, i will probably end up doing the same

though for where the strap button was before, what did you do with the hole? did you just leave it, or fill it up, if so how did you?

All I did was get some wood filler to fill it up, to tell the truth it looks like shit. But you can always take it to a guitar tech and have them fill the hole and match it with a stain. Or you can always leave it unfilled, or just add another button. Its all up to you.

True the guitar dosnt really sit as flush to your body like before, but if your used to playing most flying v's and gibson explorers and sg's with the button in the back, it feels right.

Some people dont mind a neck dive, but I hate it! I rather not have the extra resistance to my fretting hand.

andrei

if it's a clean hole, id say, leave it alone.
if you fill it up, you'll just get a coloured dot instead of the hole, something you'd be attempting to color, to match the finish, and wouldn't nail it anyway.

and at some poin you may like to move the button to the original position.
there is silght discomfort with the buton on the back of the neck: the (upper part of the) guitar tends to tip to the front...
the guitar doesn't rest on your body as it did before the mod.
it's a smallet inconvenient than the neckdive, but still, needs to be taken into account.

ShreddyMcFunTits

alternatively couldn't you move the other strap button.

cfhmachado

I,m selling one right now .You can find it at the bottom of pg.4 in the spam section

Post to Thread