H 50 with bolt on neck vs MH 400NT

Updated
guitarplayer7132
Hey guys I can't find a MH400NT to play any where with in decent driving range ( I refuse to drive over 65 miles just to play a guitar) anyway I was wondering how the necks compaire. I loved the old H 50 neck and I was wondering if the 400NT is anything like it or is it 10 time better. Thanks for the help.
sirsloop

I played a couple 50 series LTD's friday night for the heck of it. The general feel of a 50 series vs my mh250nt or a mh400nt is GARBAGE. IDK, if you are serious about buying a $500-600 guitar then an hour drive is probably worth it. IDK, call the store and see what they have in stock. Go out and try a bunch of stuff. I drove 35 miles friday to play a fx260, hated it, and fell in love with a viper 400 instead. Go figure...

guitarplayer7132

I played a couple 50 series LTD's friday night for the heck of it. The general feel of a 50 series vs my mh250nt or a mh400nt is GARBAGE. IDK, if you are serious about buying a $500-600 guitar then an hour drive is probably worth it. IDK, call the store and see what they have in stock. Go out and try a bunch of stuff. I drove 35 miles friday to play a fx260, hated it, and fell in love with a viper 400 instead. Go figure...

Well the closest thing I have been able to play is a H 400 it wasn't bad but the finish on the back of the neck would kind of slow down my playing a little which kind of pissed me off but other then that I like it. Also I have heard a couple of good players complain about this on other boards they have said that is takes some time but you get used to it.

SpiderPig

I think my EC50 kicks balls. At least its 06 model, not a piece of shit from today.

sirsloop

Yeah, the finish on my mh250nt did at first seem to slow me down compared to the natural finish on my RG. After a while you get used to it and I don't notice it anymore. I think its a little tacky when you first get the guitar, but after a few sessions of playing a little hand grease builds up on the neck and it smooths out. I love the neck compared to the wizard II neck on my RG....

guitarplayer7132

While I like the wizard II neck I liked the neck on the h 400 a little better. Would you say that the neck on the h 400 is about the same as the mh400nt?

njrusmc

Its probably identical. The specifications on the ESP website would indicate so.

Dryope

for what its worth:

they SHOULD be the same as they both have the thin-u neck BUT: when i went out do buy me a substitue fpr my horizon nt II i (which accorrding to speces has the same thin-u neck) i played a mh400nt and an mh400....end of story: the floyd-eqipped one has the same profile as my beloved esp...the 400nt doesn´t (the neck was a tad fatter and more od a "d"!!!!! unfortunately i could´n resolve if this would be the case with all mh400nts of if this was an "one-fault" only....

andrei

the specs should be the same, but the quality makes a huge difference.

meaning: if you like the 50, you'll love the 400 (even with the same specs).

ZULND3R

i can guarantee you that the quality of the 400 will be MUCH MUCH better than the 50

gab4554

I refuse to drive over 65 miles just to play a guitar
lmao
I did for 80. Who cares... just go and try it. If you like it then buy it. Thats what i did.

takesnogutz666

ironically i have both of these guitars. there is no comparison... the 400 is totally better than the 50. everything from finish, to pickups and electronics, to the sound, and the playability there is nothing better about the 50... not even the cost. the 400 could easily go for a grand and still be worth the money. as for the neck, yes they're similar in shape you wont find too much of a difference there but the 400 is more solid and has a better feel. and at least the 400 is made of real wood (mahogany) and not agathis (which is what the 50 is made of).. which is probably the worst tone wood available.

sirsloop

If only they made a red flame top MH400NT. Good excuse to get a MH1000 I suppose ;) I actually really like the sound of the MH250NT. Its got great cleans IMHO compared to my mahogany Viper 400. It doesn't have crazy sustain like a LP or anything, but it sounds nice regardless of the wood.

Post to Thread