Tragedy struck me :(

Updated
moddy
I hate to tell this :( but thats what happened to me today. I end up buying the Ibanez RG321MH even though i had the $ to buy the LTD MH400NT. My dad told me that i shouldn't come back home if i bought the LTD, i know that suxxxxx and after almost an hour of arguing with him i had no choice but to buy the Ibanez and the Roland cube 30X amp. I cant really describe the feeling that is there within me, but a part of my conscience says that i did the right thing. I am a little disappointed though, but thats how life is and you always don't get what you wish or desire. Ok so lets put the emotional stuff aside. I need a bit of help here from you wonderful people who have helped and guided a noob like me and i cant thank enough. These are the specs of my guitar: Neck: 3pc Wizard II neck Neck Type: Wizard II Body: Mahogany body Frets: Jumbo frets Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood Inlay: Pearl Dot Bridge: Fixed bridge NeckPU: IBZ INF3 neck pu BridgePU: IBZ INF4 bridge pu Here is a list of things that i feel needs a fix and for that i need suggestions once again: 1) There is buzzing in the strings and i definitely want to change them to some real good ones. 2) As far as pick ups go, they are dual passive infinity pick ups so i was thinking of going with the Seymour Duncan: JB Bridge, 59 neck. EMG 81 or 85 wont go in a passive setup like this. 3) I also want a very good guitar cable coz the one that came with it is not the best quality and it makes noises when i connect it to the amp. Please tell me what ever you guys have in mind on the list above. Suggest me the best stuff and if i need to change some other parts too, then tell me about it. Thank you
tee5150ii

He said you shouldn't come home if you bought the LTD? Wtf? If it's your money then you should be able to spend it on whatever you want. All the guitar specifics aside, that's a shitty situation.

However; to address your questions.
-Buzzing is probably a sign that you'll need a setup or you can try adjusting the saddle height yourself, but I wouldn't mess with the truss rod unless you do a good amount of research on it before turning anything. Strings are preference, but try and stay around the 10-46 gauge range since they're pretty versatile and practically every brand has a set in that range. I suggest Dean Markley Blue Steels but Ernie Ball Slinkys can do the job if you don't want to spend over $5 for a pack.
-I personally don't have experience wiht Duncan's beyond the SH6's, but from various reviews I've read online, the JB/59 combo is pretty popular. You could get the electronics swapped out to support the EMG's, that's obviously going to run you another $200+ total unless you go the eBay route or something like that.
-Cables are cables so I would suggest to a beginner to get something with a replacement warranty like Monster Cable or Livewire...but I use Planet Waves cables and I don't have problems with noise. Try to get around a 10-20' cable and you'll want to spend at least $15 since the budget no-name cables will crap out if you abuse them...technically any cable would if you abuse it but the cheap ones will die quicker.

Hope that helps.

JeanPaul du Vinnie

WTF kind of shit is that? :| I would have walked out of that store and come back another day, without my father.

load more replies (1 of 1)
moddy

He said you shouldn't come home if you bought the LTD? Wtf? If it's your money then you should be able to spend it on whatever you want. All the guitar specifics aside, that's a shitty situation.

However; to address your questions.
-Buzzing is probably a sign that you'll need a setup or you can try adjusting the saddle height yourself, but I wouldn't mess with the truss rod unless you do a good amount of research on it before turning anything. Strings are preference, but try and stay around the 10-46 gauge range since they're pretty versatile and practically every brand has a set in that range. I suggest Dean Markley Blue Steels but Ernie Ball Slinkys can do the job if you don't want to spend over $5 for a pack.
-I personally don't have experience wiht Duncan's beyond the SH6's, but from various reviews I've read online, the JB/59 combo is pretty popular. You could get the electronics swapped out to support the EMG's, that's obviously going to run you another $200+ total unless you go the eBay route or something like that.
-Cables are cables so I would suggest to a beginner to get something with a replacement warranty like Monster Cable or Livewire...but I use Planet Waves cables and I don't have problems with noise. Try to get around a 10-20' cable and you'll want to spend at least $15 since the budget no-name cables will crap out if you abuse them...technically any cable would if you abuse it but the cheap ones will die quicker.

Hope that helps.

That was some great info dude. Thank you. That sure will help allot.

Justin

Who's your dad? Steve Vai?
What an idiot. Atleast you're thankful, most people would throw a fit and hate everything and everyone.

PerfectForm

Nothing wrong with starting with "crappy" gear, makes you applicate the good stuff when you move on to them.

Im half way to the good stuff btw :p

ZULND3R

i know it sucks that you were forced to get the cheaper guitar... but Ibanez RG321's aren't all that bad. If its your first guitar I would have suggested getting something like that anyways..

Gil

it will work out moddy. glad you found the ibanez though. and Tee is right. getting all that stuff taken care of can happen in one trip to a good tech and shouldnt be a dime more than $150 even with the pickups. a good tech will recognize its your first guitar and cut you a break on labor.

actually it will come out to more than that if you get emgs however make sure you buy a new selector switch because you won't be able to use your emgs with the 5 way switch.

Alex7734

My dad dose not care what I do with my money. I plan on buying the TM-600 and a Randall amp stack.

InVinoVeritasXXX

I would have not gotten anything and just fronted the difference in money for the guitar when I could. Better late than lameness. You could have gotten a Micro Cube, you're not going to be playing that loudly first and anything under 50 watts is going to be insufficient for group play. Regardless, your tastes in gear will change throughout your tenure in guitar wanker, however long or short, but you have a workable setup, so slap a new nut and some aftermarket pickups on there and go to town...

loversmoon

cables are cables indeed but I dig the monster cables pretty well. expensive though.
Pickups you cant go wrong with duncan. The setup you suggested or SH-4 JB and SH-2n Jazz Model (dave mustaine) would be a good combo as well.

Gil

cables are cables indeed but I dig the monster cables pretty well. expensive though.
Pickups you cant go wrong with duncan. The setup you suggested or SH-4 JB and SH-2n Jazz Model (dave mustaine) would be a good combo as well.

I will attest to the jazz pickups awesomeness I have one in my viper 400. monster cables are pretty great and guaranteed for life so you can't go wrong there.

Cman732

Get the guitar setup to stop the buzz
i use dean markely blue steel 9's damn good strings. What kind of music do you want to play that could help with the gauge of strings you want to use.
monster cables

moddy

Get the guitar setup to stop the buzz
i use dean markely blue steel 9's damn good strings. What kind of music do you want to play that could help with the gauge of strings you want to use.
monster cables

Dude i just want to play metal, thats it. And anything or any help on how to learn Metal music or tutorials as such are most welcome from any of you.

ZUR13L

All low end guitars are the same, these days. Don't sweat it, mate. Enjoy what you have.

Remember, all the old bluesmen who invented rock 'n' roll played on total crap instruments. It was their ability, dedication, and the lack of anything better that allowed them to make their instuments sing and cry.

Your dad's just looking out for you. If you start out on a $5,000 Warwick, you wouldn't have anyhting to look forward to.

~_^

njrusmc

You don't need a good guitar to be a good guitarist. Anyone can learn fundamental (and advanced) techniques on a low end guitar. The overall sound may not be optimal, but who cares?

One great guitarist on a crappy guitar with a crappy rig > (shitty guitarists with good gear)^1000

Enemyofreali7y

Dude, the 321 and the 400NT are in completely seperate price ranges. Maybe your dad didn't have the cash, get over it, and enjoy what you have.

Sorry to be harsh here, but lets be real.

EDIT: also, to they kid who said you need a good guitar to be a good guitarist:

false. I started out on a squire plywood starter guitar, and I'm not going to brag, but I think I'm pretty damn skilled. I'm not showing off, just saying there is no relation.

I've seen kids with gibsons and guitars that cost as much as a used car and they can't even play simple sabbath stuff..

moddy

Dude, the 321 and the 400NT are in completely seperate price ranges. Maybe your dad didn't have the cash, get over it, and enjoy what you have.

Sorry to be harsh here, but lets be real.

EDIT: also, to they kid who said you need a good guitar to be a good guitarist:

false. I started out on a squire plywood starter guitar, and I'm not going to brag, but I think I'm pretty damn skilled. I'm not showing off, just saying there is no relation.

I've seen kids with gibsons and guitars that cost as much as a used car and they can't even play simple sabbath stuff..

You are not being harsh at all bro. I think what njrusmc said was "You don't need a good guitar to be a good guitarist" so i guess you misunderstood him.
My dad gave me loads of cash (infact i still got plenty left to buy one mh400) to buy the guitar+amp and a few other things but he never knew that i was going to buy the MH400NT, and i just thought that he would be ok with it, but when he came to know the cost of it he went mad. Thats the whole thing...
Well, honestly speaking, the Ibanez sounds good with its flaws that are not too much of a pain. Another fact is that i am a noob and i don't think i deserve such an expensive guitar like the MH400 at the moment.
I thank every one here who have been so much active and have helped me in my purchase of the guitar. In future also please help this noob (me) transform into a decent player.

Yoshi

If you can afford a high end guitar, no matter where you start from. Buy it. Its your money and your choice to buy high end gear when you are learning, it just means you are lucky enough. Anyway the 321 is actually a great guitar and alot of people buy them for their great versatility. You should some where along the line buy seymour duncan distortions or buy dimarzio tone zone/air norton. Great pups.

moddy

If you can afford a high end guitar, no matter where you start from. Buy it. Its your money and your choice to buy high end gear when you are learning, it just means you are lucky enough. Anyway the 321 is actually a great guitar and alot of people buy them for their great versatility. You should some where along the line buy seymour duncan distortions or buy dimarzio tone zone/air norton. Great pups.

Cool. Will buy the Seymour Duncan.

ESP

Are we pretending that this is the right forum to discuss the Ibanez you bought?

moddy

Are we pretending that this is the right forum to discuss the Ibanez you bought?

With all due respect sir, its not my intention to do all this but its something that i went through and being a total noob needed a little guidance. I am sorry if i caused any trouble to you.

njrusmc

Personally not a fan of the SD JB for one. I have one in an H207, and it is totally destroyed by the EMG 81, hands down. Sure the guitar with the 81 has better woods and construction, but my buddies have Schecters with better woods and JB's that still cannot compare. I hear the EMG passives are pretty good .... no experience with them, though.

Post to Thread