Problem with my mh400nt

Updated
d_byrne23
Ok guys I love this guitar so far, Ive had it for not even 2 months. I had it professionally set up by a technition for drop B tuning using 12-56 gauge strings. Now I am done a side project with the group of guys I was playing with and now I am back to my stuff which i play in drop c. I put on a set of 11-50's and all was well when tuning my low C, then came the low G string and I noticed that it looks like the tech sanded the nut down too far. No matter how much I adjust the bridge, when playing an open note on that string, it is brutal buzzing. Even when the tech gave the guitar back to me it buzzed in drop B but it wasnt noticeable when plugged in. What should i do fellas? Any adjustments I can make, judging from my limited knowledge it looks like he butchered the nut pretty bad. Any help would be much appriciated.
maxdgad

bring it in for a nut replacement

d_byrne23

and do i have to pay for the new nut, or is the tech responsibe

Butch

Did you let him know that you wanted to be able to tune up afterwards?

And MAXDGAD: Is that you in your avatar?

d_byrne23

He didnt warn me about anything, like he never said if i do this u wont be able to go up. They are decent over there though so I guess ill see what he says, thanks

ZULND3R

He didnt warn me about anything, like he never said if i do this u wont be able to go up. They are decent over there though so I guess ill see what he says, thanks

what probably happened is that the slot in the nut for the G string was sanded down quite a bit. While this probably worked just fine for the larger gauge strings you had while playing in Drop B, if you're playing in a higher tuning with smaller gauge strings, the string will sit down lower and cause excess buzzing. This is NOT the guitar techs fault. He set it up properly to be played in DROP B. There are 4 things you can do to fix this: 1, raise your action up real high, 2. Put a shim under the nut, 3, replace the nut, 4, play with the heavier gauge strings in the higher tuning

load more replies (1 of 1)
Butch

yeah if it was his mistake then he should probably replace the nut for you or at least work out some kinda arrangement.

njrusmc

d_byrne23, unfortunately the technician is not responsible. Although he was wrong to assume that you knew he would file the nut down (which of course would happen when you use such heavy strings), it would be difficult to blame him for doing it. Anytime you make modifications to the guitar there will be consequences, so just be aware of them. A new Earvana will cost maybe 30-40 USD I think.

d_byrne23

Boy am I frustrated, the initial setup job was horrible, ive had $300 ibanez guitars sound buzz free set up from a friend, but i thought since the mh400 was fairly pricey I wanted a professional to do it.

I went in today and bought the exact same gauge strings (12-56), i simply couldnt get it, I messed around with the bridge height, but either way you look at it, the string, absolutely lays on the first piece of fretwire, Im not a guitar tech, but I dont think this was done properly at all, it makes me want to never play this guitar again, and sad part is the guitar is pretty decent..I have to wait til hes in tomorrow, frustrating..man

load more replies (1 of 1)
5150-Viper

im actually surprised he sanded down the nut on the Earvana, i use 12-56 in C standard on my viper 400 and didn't have to do that. sometimes i tune up to Drop C with the same strings and they play perfect just so you know.

d_byrne23

Yeah man I bet, for the longest time I never had guitars set up, id buy a guitar, throw 11-52's on it, and id have no issues, im having big regrets here

Justin

You see, this is why i stay away from trems
The Digitech Wah suits me fine :D

d_byrne23

this isnt a trem man lol..its the mh400nt lol..but I understand your advice lol..thanks

MyApocalypse

replace nut

d_byrne23

thats what im expecting to hear back tomorrow..just have a feeling. Thanks

Post to Thread