Noob question

Updated
flimz
Just wondering what the difference in Tone would be between an EC 1000 equipped with JB duncans, and an EC 400VF with the same pickups. I know the 400 has a thicker body, but what other tonal things would I notice? Im leaning towards the 400VF. Thanks everyone.
Butch

The wood difference between the 400 and the 1000 as far as i know is very similar if not same quality, its just the hardware that is different. in fact many people prefer the 400 series due to the abalone.

metalhobo

EC-1000 has 24 frets. That means that the neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge, resulting in less warmth than you would get from a neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar. If you're going to use the 24 frets, for sure get the 1000. But if you only need 22, shoot for the VF.

Butch

According to the '08 specs the 500 series is 24 fret and vf is 22. The scale length is the same anyway, so i doubt you will hear the difference in the tone between the two. 22 or 24 is really up to your preference.

My advice is if you really want the look and hardware etc of the 1k go for it, but like i said if you are on a budget the 400/500 will be very similar woods.

andrei

According to the '08 specs the 500 series is 24 fret and vf is 22. The scale length is the same anyway, so i doubt you will hear the difference in the tone between the two. 22 or 24 is really up to your preference.

i think the pickups position makes big difference.
i'd take 22 over 24 frets on any 2pup guitar.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Gfunk

My advice is if you really want the look and hardware etc of the 1k go for it, but like i said if you are on a budget the 400/500 will be very similar woods.

Typically, a thicker body and shorter fret board (resulting in pup placement closer towards the headstock), will contribute to a "bigger/fatter" sound.

Butch

ok gfunk help here, i understand the thicker body, but in the 22 fret neck wouldn't the frets be further apart and the neck same length and in the 24 fret neck, wouldn't the frets be closer together the neck be the same length as well seeing as it is the same scale length.

Or are the fret spacings about the same with a shorter neck in the 22 in which case it would have to be further "up" the body to maintain the same scale.

flimz

I may be wrong...but isnt "scale" the total length from the bridge to the nut? So the length of the neck on a 24 fret is longer than a 22 fret. Just the 24 sits deeper into the body. I think the fret spacing is the same.

Butch

For sure scale length means from the nut to bridge. Thats why i asked about the spacing

metalhobo

Same fret spacing, but 24 fret boards go into the body more, hence why the neck pickup is closer to the bridge.

Piney Hills Music

you can (if you listen to them side by side) hear a difference between the 24 fret models and the 22 fret models

I sold a 400 and a 1000, and I thought the 400 was the better guitar

andrei

scale length = distance between nut and bridge.

on guitars with the same scalelength the distance between the frets is the same, no regard if 22 or 24 frets.
therefor on 22 frets guitars, the neck pickup lies under the second octave (24th fret) and the sound is warmer.

hey Butch, you had a project started on the old forum.
how did it turn out?

Butch

hey Butch, you had a project started on the old forum.
how did it turn out?

it did quite well i might say considering that i did all the painting by brush and a soft cloth. The only problem was i used a cheap painters tape and when removing it some spots of the clear coat flaked off, but barely noticable. I also didnt take any close up pics of the finished neck.

I will post whatever i have in a new thread soon.

cheers.

Post to Thread