Batteries for actives?

Updated
Justin
Anyone know what 9 volts are the best to use for active emgs? Or where i can find them? I hear the higher quailty battery the better tone :\
Gil

you can't go wrong with duracell or energizer. the only thing that's really not recommended is rechargeable batteries because you usually have to discharge the battery completely to get the full use of it. That really wouldn't work with a guitar.

Justin

Ah, so just standard duracell batteries you find in the store?

metalhobo

Rechargeable cells only have a nominal output of 1.2 volts, versus 1.5 for alkaline batteries. A nine volt battery has six cells. A rechargeable NiMH or NiCD "nine volt" battery will only have a nominal output of 7.2 volts (1.2 times 6 cells), unless of course the battery has more than 6 cells, in which case the capacity will be compromised in order to fit all the cells. If you only have 7.2 volts to the preamp in active pickups, the headroom will be lowered, and the signal will be more compressed.

Justin

...............................oh?

Gil

haha he says yes regular off the shelf batteries ;)

richard

I use duracells on my guitar.

njrusmc

metalhobo is correct, stick with alkaline. Additionally, give the 18V mod a shot ... I saw a substantial improvement.

Justin

Haha thanks all ^_^
I saw the battery in there, and it looks like one of those 20 dollar 'high end' batteries. So i thought'd only one of those would work.

Nova

I use energizer

duracell does the same

and about a 18V modif, is it expensive to make such a modif?

Justin

I use energizer

duracell does the same

Wouldn't know :\
I must have skiped that day in school when they taught about batteries xD

metalhobo

Approximately $2.69 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062218&cp=&sr=1&origkw=9+volt&kw=9+volt&parentPage=search

...assuming you have a soldering iron.

Butch

duracell works best nobs!

Butch

duracell works best nobs!

:rollin

Justin

So i just connect 2 nine volts together?

metalhobo

Two nine volts in series.

Post to Thread