LTD EC100QM - Worth upgrading?

Updated
The Funnel Weaver
I've posted on a couple of other message boards, but I want the opinions of ESP specific players. I have a LTD EC100QM and I'm considering putting new humbuckers in it. I've read mixed reviews on this; some people say that agathis is shit wood and not worth upgrading, others say go for it. I'm still not quite sure what kind of hums I am going to put in it, but I am leaning more towards something passive right now.
___KC___

yeah, Its worth upgrading if you get actives. passives wont really do anything about the sound of agathis.

Gil

I have a viper 50 that I went ahead and put an 85 and an 81 in and I'll tell you they made all the difference in the world. I have a viper 400 as well that came with seymour duncans in it and I have trouble choosing which one want to play sometimes. I'd say that it's worth it but I'd also say buy viper 400 or 500at least. you won't regret it one bit.

ShreddyMcFunTits

tbh, It'd be better going towards a new guitar.

The Funnel Weaver

I considered actives. EMG 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck was my first option. I'm still heavily considering it. Later in time I am going to get a higher end, either EC 500 or H 500 and I want actives in it. Would I still get different tone qualities out of my ugraded 100QM and a 500?

Gfunk

I considered actives. EMG 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck was my first option. I'm still heavily considering it.

$200 pups in a $250 guitar?

C'mon.

Gil

oh absolutely. when you upgrade to the ec 500 you'll notice the thickness of the guitar's sound. if you want to get the other guitar later and get pick ups now I'd say go for it. more variety for you.

The Funnel Weaver

oh absolutely. when you upgrade to the ec 500 you'll notice the thickness of the guitar's sound. if you want to get the other guitar later and get pick ups now I'd say go for it. more variety for you.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

In response to the $200 pups in a $250 guitar thing - there are some hums that got great reviews on Harmonycentral made by a brand called Dragonfire that are modelled after EMG 81's that you can get for about $30-35. I was really considering those.

Gil

I got the pups on my viper since I had some extra money and thought of putting them on my viper 400 since it came with seymour duncans but I ended up just putting a coil tap on it and switching the bridge pickup. it's makes the guitar sound great if you change em up but I would suggest you get at least the 400 series.

Justin

I got the pups on my viper since I had some extra money and thought of putting them on my viper 400 since it came with seymour duncans but I ended up just putting a coil tap on it and switching the bridge pickup. it's makes the guitar sound great if you change em up but I would suggest you get at least the 400 series.

Coil tap in a viper? You lucky lucky man >:[

load more replies (1 of 1)
Butch

if yure getting pups cheap then go ahead, but ideally i;d say if you can sell the ec100 (if its not of great sentiment or anything to ya) go ahead and sell it. And put the money you considered buying actives with to a 400 or 500 series guitar.

General Klinger

My old LTD EC100 had the ZW 81/85 combo in it, and it sounded awesome!

ZULND3R

if your pickups cost almost as much as your guitar, its not worth it. Its much more cost effective to buy a guitar that has good pups in it right off the bat. You save yourself a ton of money

Justin

I wouldn't put new pups in it. I rather save the 200-300 dollars and get a 400 series. I put Dimizaros in my first guitar thinking it'd sound great, and it did at first. Then i got my viper, and realized what a mistake i made and how bad it sounded compared to the Viper.

Nova

I also wouldnt pimp a 250 bucks guitar
sell it and save a bit for a 400

you'll also notice than Mahogany > agathis, easily

Nethan  P.

Hi, I have a electric guitar, which is a budget one and i am looking to upgrade it.

Could you guys tell me which guitar parts shall i upgrade first?

P.S. - I can't afford to upgrade the whole guitar at one go.

Pushead

Nethan, I'd recommend saving up money until you can afford to upgrade the entire guitar. You'll end up with a better, and more valuable, product in the end.

That being said, if you're still set on upgrading what you have, identify what you're least pleased with and start there. Are you having trouble staying in tune? Replace the tuners and the bridge. Are you displeased with the sound? Replace the pickups (or the amp). Is there a scratchy sound every time you touch one of the knobs? Replace the electronics...

But really, the best investment anyone can make to sound better is to take lessons and practice.

Kimb J.

great

Kimb J.

thanks

Post to Thread