7 String or Baritone?

Updated
ninjalinkdeath
I've got an M-400, and I'm looking for a second guitar to keep low tuned. I'm looking at the Viper 7 string or Viper Baritone, but can't decide which to get.
Gfunk

Baritone.

Its one less string.

MV-CTM

do you like 7-string necks? Depends on what you would feel more comfortable playing.

___KC___

a baritone is a great alternative to a seven string, especially because of the longer scale.

The Funnel Weaver

I would go with a Baritone over a 7 any day. I hate 7's with a passion though.

ShreddyMcFunTits

It's all personal preference really, some people don't like the thickness of the neck, others don't like the longer scale length.

I have a 7 already and think it's absolutely amazing, Looking at getting a Baritone too.

Gfunk

It's all personal preference really, some people don't like the thickness of the neck, others don't like the longer scale length.

I agree, they both suck.

Gil

I think for myself the thicker neck is definitely what does it for me. ....plus I can barely use 6 strings :P.

mikerockstar

I own a MHB-400 Baritone and love it.

Though i did prefer the feel of the MHB better, I chose it over the Viper Bari more because of looks. They are both great axes.

ninjalinkdeath

Problem is, I live in the boonies, so I can't go test out either of them. Let's consider the pickups. How does the 81-7 do compared to the 81 on the Bari?

ninjalinkdeath

And the 707 vs the 85.

Gfunk

The 81-7 is based on the 81, and the 707 is based on the 85.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Justin

I hated the viper 7 string. I played it a few times at sam ash and i hated every bit of it. But, i own a viper 400, and love it. The 707's didin't sound good at all to me, the guitar was heavy, bad neck etc. I'd go with the baritone.

TheDevilHimself

It comes down to personal preference and playing still. If you dislike long scales and see yourself using all 7 strings (and not just the low strings), a 7-string would be feasible. But it is also the string spacing, which has to fit your hand.
I chose a baritone because I wanted something just to always keep in B/Blat/A-tuning and I preferred the feel of the six-string fretboard.

njrusmc

I suggest the 7 string. The wider neck WILL be more uncomfortable to play. When I broke my MH400NT by being a dumbass with a soldering iron, I had to wait a week in the for the new parts to come. I had to play my H207 in the meantime. It was hard at first, but after a few days you pick up on it. When I played my 400 again, it was so much easier. I had gained substantial strength from that 7th string and my overall speed and accuracy increased.

So, in short, the 7 string can be a useful training tool as well as a unique instrument to add to your arsenal. Thats my vote.

acefecoo

7 string + 1
baritone is not enough

asbloodrunsblack

baritone !

Nova

interesting topic!
I see the opinions are pretty 50/50 so I guess the only possible choice would be to try em both and go with your feelings...

ninjalinkdeath

My ESP dealer in Salem doesn't have either, and any other shops are too far to go to just to try out non ESPs with different set-ups. I'm just going by statistics and your experience here, people. So far we have the experience that the 7 string pickups don't sound as good as the 6 string pickups, which may or may not be an isolated incident. We have the fact that 7 strings take some getting used to and keep you having to think for a while. Is there a drawback to the baritone that competes with those drawbacks to consider, or are we done here?

MV-CTM

My ESP dealer in Salem doesn't have either, and any other shops are too far to go to just to try out non ESPs with different set-ups. I'm just going by statistics and your experience here, people. So far we have the experience that the 7 string pickups don't sound as good as the 6 string pickups, which may or may not be an isolated incident. We have the fact that 7 strings take some getting used to and keep you having to think for a while. Is there a drawback to the baritone that competes with those drawbacks to consider, or are we done here?The extended scale is a bit harder to play than regular scale, I don't think one is easier or harder than the other though as I have both and switch between them regularly.

ShreddyMcFunTits

So far we have the experience that the 7 string pickups don't sound as good as the 6 string pickups.

I disagree, Their isn't a great difference between my 81-7 and my 81's.

Enemyofreali7y

lol @ all the bias in here towards 7 strings.

7 strings are more versatile. You have a standard tuned guitar for your using for everything else you know, plus the 7 to use when you need it. Good luck playing anything you know now on a bari without changing guitars.

Can't handle bigger necks? Quit playing guitar, pussies. I play a "baseball bat" schecter and I do just fine. (I've been playing ibby all my life beforehand, to set an example)

Extended scale? I hardly noticed the extra 1 inch on my schecter, because it's something you get used to quickly, like moving up a gauge in strings.

So for me, +1 for a 7 string.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread