Strange noise from new KH-202 - causes?

Updated
hunter3705
Hello everyone, I just bought a new KH-202 (Kirk Hammett signature model). I love the guitar, and I'm very happy with it. It just started making a strange noise, and I can't find the source of it. When the 6E is picked aggressively, it sometimes makes a tinney rattle or buzz, like thin, loose metal vibrating. None of the other strings do it, and it doesn't do it all the time. I lossened and re-tightened the clamps at the headstock end of the neck, I thought it might be loose, but it's still doing it. The FR trem seems to be ok, althought I'm not real anxious to start taking that thing apart until I understand it a little better. Any thoughts or ideas about what could be causing this? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Alan
Stephy

maybe you need to tape your hands.

57Octane

Come on guys, not everyone buys a KH because they "w@nt t0 b3 l!k3 t3h kirkz."

hunter3705, it could be the trem springs. Take off the back plate and listen to the spring cavity as you pluck the string a few times. See if the noise is coming from there. If it is, it's just a simple fix of putting some foam padding under the springs to keep them from vibrating as much.

Also, a word of advice. Since you have a 202, if your going to be playing a lot and stuff, you might want to save up some cash and look for an Original Floyd Rose. The licensed lo-pro on the 202 can get pretty "br00tal" in a bad way after awhile, if it doesn't suck already that is.

Pushead

Is it the string buzzing because it's hitting frets? The action might be a tad low.

LOL

Also, make sure your string isn't hitting your pickups. That can happen a lot if they're too high.
And make sure the string is tight at the bridge.

Justin

Also, make sure your string isn't hitting your pickups. That can happen a lot if they're too high.
And make sure the string is tight at the bridge.

+1
sounds like the problem. When your pickups are raised too high the strings hit it and make that annoying noise. If it starts doing that again try lowering them. ;]

panicchain

Maybe its the plastic cap at the head, the thing with the screw in it.. it could be vibrating..

hunter3705

Thanks for the help guys, it's not doing it any more! It's brand new, maybe some parts just had to wear in a little bit - who knows. It's a great guitar, and I'm really enjoying it.

57Octane: I was thinking about replacing the trem with a real FR, just like you said. I've read in a bunch of places that the licensed ones aren't nearly as good. They're pricey, and I could only find the genuine article at one place.

Stephy: You got me, I don't understand the joke. Why would I want to tape my hands?

Butch

come on dude, dont be scared she just wants to talk to you,

TaoZen

Is it brand new, or new to you but used?

Check the trem saddle to see if there is a groove worn in it from the string. Licensed floyds are made with a softer alloy.

One quick way to check is grab the string right next to the trem saddle and wiggle it from side to side. If you hear a click or a tiny tink or twang, it's because the string is snapping in and out of the groove. The string will vibrate/buzz on the side of a groove in the saddle when it is played.

If that's the problem, take a little piece of fine grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around the tip of a needle file and carefully smooth the saddle just until the groove is gone. If the groove is really deep, you can just replace the single saddle.

Butch

tried raising the bridge a tad on the bass side?

Angel G.

Hey all.  Just put an Original FR on the 202 and switched out the stock pups for 81/85.  Pain in my ass but got it done.

Post to Thread