using guitar amp for bass guitar

Updated
svt4cobra6
I have an esp bass with passive pickups and have a solid state 350 watt amp head with 2-12 carvin 100 watt speakers in an old fender baseman cab. Just wondering if I can run my bass through the rig, I tried it at low volumes and it sounded good>
moosemeister

yeah keep it at a low volume. my friend tried it and destroyed his line 6. you shoul save money and get atleast a practice bass amp.

svt4cobra6

sounds like it might be a good idea to get a bass rig! The amp is a crate guitar head and the speakers are carvin guitar speakers.

DeathrollJM

yeah only problem with doing this is guitar loudspeakers aren't designed to handle that low of a frequency so when you play keep the volume low or keep the lows turned down.

as long as you don't hear any speaker distortion (like speaker farting) its fine.

moosemeister

yeah that is true. i guess you cant hurt the amp but the speakers, so changing them out.

i personally wouldnt go through the trouble, id just buy a bass amp/cabinet or combo.

i have two carvin stacks sitting in my garage. two heads and two cabs. and i have a line six combo under my desk. also a REALLY crappy roland dac one (its orange.) im not worried about bass amps.

i do however use guitars on one of the carvins with a pedal. sounds great. haha.

good luck with the crate customizing.

DeathrollJM

you don't have to worry about the amp, all audio devices can handle every frequency in the audio spectrum, therefore you never have to worry about damaging the amp. The only difference between bass and guitar amps is the bass amps are voiced towards the lower frequencies and the guitar amps are voiced for mid range frequencies, even so, guitars create sub harmonics that go below the fundamentals of a bass guitar (and a bass goes even lower, actually lower than 20 Hz) so that right there debunks the myth that guitar amps can't handle that kind of "work". the only con of using a guitar amp is that it isn't voiced for a bass guitars so the lower harmonics won't be produced as good as they could be.

definitely save up, ampeg has a cheap series (called backline) bass amp head that i personally think rivals their more expensive amps and you can get a head for about 600-800, im not 100% sure on the price, even then berhinger makes really good bass head starting at 200.

svt4cobra6

yep I have heard that the berhinger bass stuff is pretty good for the money, will probably check out some of their stuff. Guess ampeg has been around for quite awhile, thier stuff is probably good!

Greatdeceiver

that behringer amp my friend has sounds like junk though :/ but you can practice very well with it

svt4cobra6

Some guy is selling a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 2x10 Combo Amp, think he said it is around 350 watts. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is a good amp, guess it is about 2 years old? I think the guy wants $600 so kind of high for a used amp.

Ryan 2%

Uh...gallien krueger has the backline series. Not ampeg. And the behringer amps are good for the money, but they definately arent built to last. I had a friend that had the aluminum cone fullstack with a shecter diamond elite bass, and it sounded brutal, but one day his top right speaker blew. And when i say blew, i mean literally sent a piece of shrapnel through the air. Another odd thing is the 4x10 and 15" cabs are built to different depths so that the 4x10 is deeper than the 15, and makes it kind of sketchy.

I would save up and get a nice gallien krueger or ampeg, but another alternative is carvin. Their prices are great, and even though the sound quality isn't the greatest, it's better than several more expensive brands. (it's essentially just their PA speakers in a bass cab) I personally have both a Carvin RL full stack and an Ampeg 8x10, and you just really can't beat the Ampeg, hands down.

Post to Thread