neck comparison question

Updated
wilas101
I'll apologize in advance if this has been covered a million times in the past. The search feature didn't come up with anything for me. How do the necks on the M series LTDs compare to a Jackson Soloist neck or an Ibanez Prestige neck? I'm trying to get a handle on it myself but finding the same information about each neck is difficult, then you have one company reporting in millimeters, the next one inches and fractions and one in inches and decimals..... well, you get the point. so I figured I would ask. I'm sure more than a few people here have played all 3 brands and might be able to give me an idea how they compare.
Bridge The Void

The necks on some M series are different from others.

I have an M-100 with the thin U, big difference from the Ibanez/Jackson necks - thicker d rounder.

My M-1000 has the thin flat, still a bit thicker than the Wizard neck but flatter than a U shape.

Are you looking for a guitar which is similar to the Ibanez/Jackson style neck? I don't think any of the ESP/LTD necks are as thin as those necks, at least from what I've played, but there are some similar neck shapes.

wilas101

I can't honestly say that I'm looking for something similar to anything right now. I've played around for a few minutes with a jackson soloist and a couple different ibanez (don't remember the model numbers now) but it was just that.... a few minutes.

All I can really say is the neck on my viper is too small.

I just hate the idea of spending a few hundred bucks to find out that I don't like that neck either. Might not have much choice in the matter, though. :)

Bridge The Void

Too small how? Its probably the width you want - Ibanez necks are quite wide, and Jackson necks are really wide. Look around the specs for a guitar with a similar nut width I say.

wilas101

yeah, width is one aspect that I know I prefer the wider nut.

That said, I played on a KH-602 for a little while and it has a wider (43mm) nut than the viper but it felt very thin in the palm of my hand.

Moving to the wider neck is better as long as there is some wood beneath the fretboard. :)

InVinoVeritasXXX

I'll apologize in advance if this has been covered a million times in the past. The search feature didn't come up with anything for me.

How do the necks on the M series LTDs compare to a Jackson Soloist neck or an Ibanez Prestige neck?

I'm trying to get a handle on it myself but finding the same information about each neck is difficult, then you have one company reporting in millimeters, the next one inches and fractions and one in inches and decimals..... well, you get the point.

so I figured I would ask. I'm sure more than a few people here have played all 3 brands and might be able to give me an idea how they compare.

While you could have just googled "mm to in", pulled up the calculator on your computer, it's okay. Numbers will really do you little good in evaluating necks unless you are so familiar with necks that you could imagine playing with those neck based on those numbers alone.

Yeah, Ibanez's are pretty wide, but also very thin. Jacksons, ugh, it felt like I was trying to play a bedpost. Iunno how the M's would feel.

Quick question: how similar are LTD necks to Schecter Diamond series necks? They're probably made in the same Korean factories and they have the same little bumpy by the headstock, not to mention that ESP and Schecter are owned by the same people. I was just wondering because I don't know of any ESP dealers in this crappy state, and thus haven't had the chance to try one out. See, this is why I wish Guitar Center had ESPs.

wilas101

While you could have just googled "mm to in", pulled up the calculator on your computer, it's okay. Numbers will really do you little good in evaluating necks unless you are so familiar with necks that you could imagine playing with those neck based on those numbers alone.

Actually I did that. I have converted nut sizes from 1 5/8 through 1 7/8 to mm, back to inches, in decimals and thousands (because Jackson decided to f*** with me and give dimensions in thousandths. lol)

It all fell apart because I can't find anyplace where esp lists their neck thicknesses.

An example would be jackson says the neck is .790" at the 3rd fret and .850" at the 12th. Ibanez says 19mm at the 1st fret and 21mm at the 12th. These at least give me some idea. I just haven't located that information for esp necks (and maybe it isn't published. /shrug )

I'm starting to think this question is akin to asking whether Ford or GM makes the more comfortable truck seat. lol

load more replies (1 of 1)
Helldragon

why not simply call in the ESP dealer and ask if they have some ESP guitars and THEN drive there??

wilas101

why not simply call in the ESP dealer and ask if they have some ESP guitars and THEN drive there??

so i've been sitting here for like 15 minutes trying to decide how to respond to this without sounding like a dick.

I'm not sure I know yet.

I'm sure you're just trying to help and I honestly do appreciate it but if it were that simple I don't think we'd be having this conversation right now.

I didn't go into all the details of my life for fear of boring all of you but I'm starting to wonder if I didn't leave out too much. :)

Bottom line is between work and kids and ball games I'm generally booked fairly solid so finding time to travel to a store is difficult. I figured that I could do some research in the meantime and put together what info I was able. That way, when I can make it somewhere and get my hands on some different guitars, I can make the most of my time and not end up on some wild goose chase.

anyway... like I said... i don't wanna be a dick but the "go to a store and try them out" solution isn't really what I was looking for. :)

load more replies (1 of 1)
Ivas B.

Do you need to find a person? Consider https://radaris.de/p/Michael/Mensch/, the most comprehensive online database of comprehensive public records. You can easily find information on individuals, phone numbers, companies and properties. As a renowned people search engine, Radaris delivers reliable results quickly and efficiently. Say goodbye to endless searches and experience the power of Radaris! Recommended!

Post to Thread