LTD questions...

Updated
Skully-osis
Does an LTD have the playability and feel of an ESP? Do they have a 2 way truss ? I am pretty new to ESP, so I'd like to get all the info. I can about ESP and LTD so I can make a choice. Is the attention to detail there with the LTD as much as is for the Esp models? I'm thinking I'll get an LTD and see how I like it before buying a more expensive ESP model. So I'd like to know how similiar they are as far as feel. I like thin necks, Floyde bridges, neck thru's., and low action. I can get my hands on an LTD model alot easier than an ESP model. If there is a thread started already about this , please let me know. I've only been here for like a few days. Thanks alot for the help !
gab4554

Go for ESP if you got the money. ESP are way better then LTD because they have better hardware part, better wood and they are handmade. LTD are pretty good guitars (1000 and 400/500) even if they are made in shops with lower quality for people who cant effort an ESP.

njrusmc

I would agree with the above assessment, but because you are new to ESP I do not suggest spending over $1000 on a guitar you may not even like. 400+ series LTD's have virtually the same hardware as high level ESPs. They may not be handmade, but for spending over double the price, I would not recommend an ESP first personally. I have owned/own 3 different LTD's (100, 200, and 400) series and each of them is well worth the money.

Dribble

Well not every bodys filthy rich m8 so some of us just care about playing and will settle for a ltd because its in our price range. So don't talk down about ppl who can only get ltd like you just did! BEING ABLE TO AFFORD A BETTER GUITAR DOSE NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER PLAYER!!

I got a ESP Viper 50 and its an awesome guitar over time when i've had a little money i've kitted it up with new hardware EMG ZW set new bridge heads knobs and a custom paint job (free as a family member is an airbrusher).

all be it the wood isnt as exotic as an esp i bet it would give any esp a run for its money .

in short money dosen't make a guitar good. LTD are good Guitars man just buy one and let your fingers do the talking.

mr. tickles

Well not every bodys filthy rich m8 so some of us just care about playing and will settle for a ltd because its in our price range. So don't talk down about ppl who can only get ltd like you just did! BEING ABLE TO AFFORD A BETTER GUITAR DOSE NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER PLAYER!!

I got a ESP Viper 50 and its an awesome guitar over time when i've had a little money i've kitted it up with new hardware EMG ZW set new bridge heads knobs and a custom paint job (free as a family member is an airbrusher).

all be it the wood isnt as exotic as an esp i bet it would give any esp a run for its money .

in short money dosen't make a guitar good. LTD are good Guitars man just buy one and let your fingers do the talking.

What exotic woods are you talking about here?

Mahogany?
Maple?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Bridge The Void

My M-100 is still my favourite guitar playability-wise.

With my ESP Eclipse, the main differences I note are a large improvement in sound and general feel...Its nice strapping it on and knowing that you're holding a quality guitar, and it feels ever so nice. But I can still shred on my LTD.

Basically the way I see it, if you're on a budget and an active musician, use LTD for live work and get one or two (budget depending) ESP's for the studio. It takes a lot of money, confidence, care and maybe an endorsement to excusively use ESP's live, in my opinion.

Metallikid

You can go with and LTD. They may not not be as luxurious as the ESP's but the playability and craftmanship is really good.

Skully-osis

Thank you njrusmc. That's what I wanted to know. I Know ESP's are going to be way better as far as craftsmenship goes, just wanted to know if the necks were similiar enough to compare and the over all feel. I stopped at a dealer yesturday and they didn't have anything worth even taking off the rack. They had one of those LTD KH-202's hanging with a " please ask for assisstance" signs on it and it only costs like 4 bills. Besides the one up there already had like a huge defect in the body. Looks like a dent in the wood about an inch in diameter but the paint was fine. I guess that one passed the inspection before they painted it. Man, maybe Sam ash has some in stock. There is a store in King of Prussia which is about 2 hours away from me. I will have to call. My point is that no one sells the higher grade line of these guitars in my area, and I'd rather try before I buy . Who wants to spend a couple grand on something you really don't want. It's like paying property tax twice. Nobody wants to pay it the first time.

njrusmc

Scully, good call. The KH-202 is a decent guitar, granted the EMG's in it are not the highest end (passive HZ versus the infamous 81/85/60 actives). The neck is identical on LTD's and ESP's to my knowledge, the Thin U or Extra Thin U designs are consistent. As I said, between my MH-100 and MH-400NT (not sure about my H207), both have the Thin U and play similarly. In terms of playability, I will make the case that low end LTD's, despite not sounding that great, play just like high end LTD's. About 2 weeks ago before I sold my MH-100, I would play my 100 for about 15 minutes then my 400, and keep switching back and forth. Aside from the tonal differences (and newer frets on the 400), the guitars "played" the same. Like I said, if you are testing ESP's playability versus its sound, a low end LTD would suffice, but getting a high end LTD guarantees you the same playability and good tonal quality.

Skully-osis

It's more about the feel than the sound. I have a zakk Wylde set of emg's I can install myself anyway, plus an Invader and other pickups. I can screw with the sound I want later. I am more concerned about the FEEL of the guitar. I have played 4000 dollar gibson les paul customs, but feel really uncomfortable with them. Excellent guitar , and looks really well made , but is just not my style. I appreciate the info. I really like to research things before I spend cash.

1point8t

I had a KH202 with dual EMG 81's and it was a great guitar. I wish I had of kept it, but I ended up trading up for another ESP. If I had have kept it, I would have upgraded the stock LFR with a real Floyd. Aside from that, the quality was great for the money. All of the routings were clean and precise, the fretwork was good, the paint was perfect and even the inlay work was very clean. Sometimes you get a bad apple, but for the most part, dollar for dollar, LTD's are hard to beat.

Gil

I own 2 LTDs a viper 50 and 400 and they came set up very well even from different factories. I've played a few ec-1000s and as far as the set up and playability was there which was great. The tonal quality and feel is better with the 400 obviously but the necks were both great and the action was the same on both guitars and was set up just as I wanted it when I got it. The same with the 1000s. You won't go wrong if you get at least a 400 series guitar.

Post to Thread