New LTD 200QM and Fret Buzzzzz????

Updated
theDogger
Just got my first electric. A LTD 200QM.....The first thing that I notice when I got it home and was able to start messing around....I has fret buzz on all open strings on the first 3 frets? Any thoughts?
Det Brinnande Röda

well.. it probably needs a good setup.. take it to your store and let em set it up for ya..!

njrusmc

Hey, I just got an MH400NT today and I had the same issue. Just raise the bridge man, your strings will go way up in pitch, so be prepared to retune. Play all frets on one string, if there is buzz, turn the raise screw 1/8". Repeat until no buzz. Do this over all 6 strings, it will minimize your action too. I only turned mine about 1/2 rotation each, problem solved!

1point8t

Well that's only part of getting your action set straight... just raising the bridge will cure the buzz on the lower registers, but will make your string height really high towards the upper frets. You need to have the truss rod adjusted as well, straightening the neck but not making it totally straight... you still need a small amount of upward relief to prevent the buzz you're trying to get rid of. Just bring the guitar to a qualified tech to have it done, you can really do some damage if you aren't skilled enough to be messing with your truss rod. A good setup shouldn't cost more than $50-60 at most, and since you just bought this guitar, they really should set it up right for you.

moosemeister

Every guitar needs to be set up well. Sometimes when you get a new guitar, it needs a good set up. sometimes it comes good.

I was fortunate enough that my bass came all good, so i didnt have to mess around TOO much with it.

redlightklondike

fret buzz at the lower frets means you don't have enough relief in your neck (it's too straight) it is NOT a problem of action unless you have buzz at the higher frets too, so leave your string height alone... for now. turn your truss rod counter-clockwise a 1/4 turn, tune up, and try it again. If there was no improvement, you should take it to a tech.

good luck!
rlk

theDogger

OK took it in and they said that there was a slight bow from frets 5-9 and they adjusted the truss and re-strung it. I am picking it up after work today. So I'll see how it is. Hope that it is easier to play.....

Thanks for the help...

theDogger

theDogger

Update....ok they adjusted the truss and put new Erine Balls for me 10-46. I still have fret buzz a lot less than before and the guy said that it is normal to have a little. Is this correct? Here is what I am getting...
6th string frets - 2,3,4,5
5th string frets - 2,3,4,5
4th string frets - 2,3,4,5
3rd-1st nothing

The neck is straight? Should I go some where else and have someone look at it for a 2nd opinion?

theDogger

theDogger

Anyone?

theDogger

Not sure on that. I am pretty new to everything. I understand what you are asking...I'll check tonight. If is not what does that tell you?

theDogger

svt4cobra6

If you have buzz around the 3-4 frets when you try to lower the action your neck may be bowed out. I recently got a new mh400 and had to do a lot of setup on it. The neck was bowed out so I had to adjust the truss rod, the nut level on a few of the strings was too high so I had to file them, the back plastic plate was cut out too large so once I finally got it out I had to file portions of it. Intonation was off as well. (Adjusting the truss rod is a bit tricky and you can cause perm damage if not done properly so you might want to take it to a pro tech.) The action is pretty good now but I still want to get fret levelling done but will need to take it to a good tech.

Mike T. Dude

not for anything but,LTD's ship with GHS strings and GHS strings always equal fret buzz.

redlightklondike

as i said last time:

fret buzz at the lower frets means you don't have enough relief in your neck (it's too straight) it is NOT a problem of action unless you have buzz at the higher frets too, so leave your string height alone... for now. turn your truss rod counter-clockwise a 1/4 turn, tune up, and try it again.

good luck!
rlk

you can do this yourself! just access the truss rod and give it a quarter-turn counter clock-wise. this is loosening the truss rod, thereby allowing the strings to bend the neck slightly. you notice this in the first third of the neck (first few frets, as you've described).

everybody plays differently. i tend to hit the strings a bit harder than most, and i tend to play at the lower frets. therefore, i notice buzz down there like you do. you can't hurt your neck if you only go a 1/4 turn at a time.

do it right now.
report back.

rlk

Post to Thread