Did my new guitar come broken?

Updated
Mystievel
(ahh i realized i shoulda sent this in the other forum..but now i cant delete this post..) So i just bought a new esp ec-1000 (like everyone else in the fricken world), and ive never used active pickups before so maybe it has something to do with them...but every time i have the pickup toggle switch facing down (i think so im only using the pickups closest to the base of the guitar, whatever thats called, base pickup?) anyways, when the switch is facing down that way, i only sometimes get sound. Like if i switch it from the middle, then to the downwards position it either takes about a minute until i can hear it, or i have to hit the strings real hard a couple times and then it'll start making sound and i can finally continue playing. Is this because of the active pickups, or did my guitar come broken?
thislegendforever

get new batteries
(b)=bridge pickup

nivek41

what color did you get?

load more replies (1 of 1)
LOL

it only takes one battery.
the panel with the "circle" lid is access to the controls for the pickup selector. Make sure you are using a good cable, that your input jack is tight, little things like that. if nothing you try helps, take it to a shop..

Butch

is that when playing clean????

Mystievel

yeah its clean, distortion, anything, when iput distortion on i can just barely hear it...my batteries are perfect...what it is, is the switch, i took those 3 screws out and looked in the back and started flippin the switch back nd forth and whats happening is it doesnt want to bend to the bridge pickup position, so idk i guess i do gotta take it in somewhere cus id totally kill it if i tried fixin it. :x they better be careful with my new guitar :'[

Butch

ok good idea

njrusmc

Did you try another cable?
Is the input jack on your amplifier wobbly or poorly soldered?
Did you actually take a voltmeter to your battery? If you are using Nicads or NiMH (rechargeables), those typically run at 7.2V but have may have higher mAh ratings. Use alkaline batteries to deliver a solid 9V.
Did you take an ohmmeter to the 9V terminals on the guitar to ensure good connectivity?

These are little issues that caused me to take my guitar to a shop when I was a teenager. A waste of time and money .... make sure you try all the conservative treatments first!

Post to Thread