B-55 Bass Truss Rod Issue...

Updated
B-Bass
Greetings and New Year Wishes! Vacation time is usually dangerous for me. And sure enough, over the holiday break, I succumbed to my severe GAS condition and bought an LTD B-55 (5-string) bass. It's a beauty; all black! It plays nice and sounds great to my bass-uneducated ear. I already know how to intonate my own axes, but I always take a new instrument to have my luthier do the first set up. When it comes to new instruments, having a second set of eyes, fingers, and ears involved is always a good thing. Well worth his $20 fee! Well, the first thing he noticed is that the neck is bowed such that the fretboard is concave, with an easily visible curvature when looking from nut-to-bridge along the edge of the fretboard. I don't think it's twisted, but it is definitely bowed. Right away, he tried to adjust the truss rod and found that it was already at the limit of its range. I immediately contacted the retailer, who is supposed to be giving ESP a call to see about getting an exchange. I hope to get a callback today informing me that a replacement unit is on its way. But I'm curious about this (enough to sign up on this forum) and ask you all if this is a typical thing with basses in general (or LTD's in particular), or just something really unusual. I'm not a guitar "expert" (although I have several now...but I already told you I have GAS, hehe), so I don't know much about truss rods and so forth. I also read in another thread someplace something about Japanese guitars having the truss rod (threads?) turn the opposite way? I have no idea if the poster was joking or not, but I did notice that my bass has a "Made in China" label (yeah, don't get me started...). It plays fine now, but if the truss can't be adjusted any further, then it's my guess that it will only be a matter of time before the bass is unplayable. Can anybody shed any light on this issue? Your knowledge, experience? Advice? Thanks in advance!
B-Bass

Any ideas?

According to my salesman, ESP has not returned any of his calls.

I'll wait patiently through the weekend, but I won't be happy if we're not getting any traction by Monday or Tuesday...

B-Bass

Hey, thanks for the observations!

Right now I'm googling to learn a bit more about the truss rod, how to adjust it, how to judge an acceptable amount of bowedness, and/or how might I figure out for myself if there's any range left in it.

There are a lot of hits, so any suggestions for narrowing down the field would be appreciated!

BTW, I do trust my luthier's expertise, however, I also know that none of this stuff is beyond my capacity to understand it for myself...and I already double-check my auto mechanic's work... ;)

The worst-case scenario is that I will learn more about my bass and this experience will teach me what to look for in the future. Well worth my time and money at this point!

B-Bass

Well, based on my research, my B-55 isn't really too far off. The distance between string and fret 6 should be something like 1/64th of an inch when stopping it at fret 1 and fret 8.

Mine is probably about 1/32nd of an inch. The adjustment needed should be very small if one is really needed; which is debatable at this point.

So the only thing I need to confirm for myself is whether or not my luthier is correct when he says that the truss rod is "maxed out." If it's maxed out, then I really need a replacement instrument...because even though it's playable TODAY, it probably won't be at some point in the future. If it's not maxed out, I could probably leave it as is or go ahead and make the adjustment myself. I'd probably be just as happy either way.

Since it's a brand-new bass (with no opportunity for corrosion to set in), turning the truss rod (nut) should be very easy, especially if I detune the instrument a bit and take some tension off of the strings.

It may be possible for me to proceed cautiously...as follows:

1. Detune the strings.
2. Remove E and A from the nut so that I can remove the truss rod cover from the headstock
3. Mark the the truss rod via it's allen nut, so that I know where my starting point is
4. Loosen the truss by a quarter turn to the left; if it loosens, then I will know that the mechanism is functioning correctly. If it won't budge, then I'll know it's impinged or bound, and I'll just wait for my replacement bass.
5. If it loosens, and I can confirm that with the string-test, then I can reverse and turn the rod back to "zero" (my mark made in 3 above).
6. From "zero," I would give it a 1/8th turn to the right. If the rod doesn't turn, then my luthier is correct and the truss really is at maximum. If it does turn, then I can make the adjustment for myself and find a new luthier (just kidding!.. well, mostly.)
7. String 'er up, tune, and re-measure the curve.
8. Intonate and set the action.

So give me a sanity check here...yea or nay?

LOL

sounds like it can't hurt, as long as you don't over do it and warp your neck.. that always sucks.

B-Bass

Did you just say that with the voice of experience? But from what I have read, overdoing it would be evidenced by string/fret clatter.

Or the "pow", "twang", or "boing" sound I would hear from the truss snapping...

Needless to say, if I decide to proceed, I'll be very careful.

moosemeister

thats always good. i always take precautions when im changing strings on my bass.

now that i have a pretty new one (F-255) I gotta be careful. It's neck through, if I screw this up...:(

B-Bass

Just a quick update here...

As mentioned above, I decided to detune the strings and see where the truss rod was within its range (ie, very loose, "middle", or drawn tight as my luthier said).

I could not get the truss rod to move in either direction with moderate pressure, nor with very firm pressure. That thing wouldn't turn at all, it was bound up so tight. Neither could the salesman get it to move, so we're returning the instrument to ESP, asking for a new neck to be installed.

My salesman says everybody's at NAMM, so it's been hard to get hold of anybody at ESP. The bass is with the store now, waiting for shipment back to ESP. I hate waiting for something that should have NEVER been allowed to escape the factory's quality control.

But wait I will. That's the scoop...

moosemeister

Just a quick update here...

As mentioned above, I decided to detune the strings and see where the truss rod was within its range (ie, very loose, "middle", or drawn tight as my luthier said).

I could not get the truss rod to move in either direction with moderate pressure, nor with very firm pressure. That thing wouldn't turn at all, it was bound up so tight. Neither could the salesman get it to move, so we're returning the instrument to ESP, asking for a new neck to be installed.

My salesman says everybody's at NAMM, so it's been hard to get hold of anybody at ESP. The bass is with the store now, waiting for shipment back to ESP. I hate waiting for something that should have NEVER been allowed to escape the factory's quality control.

But wait I will. That's the scoop...

That blows man. But atleast be happy that your guitar will be properly fixed instead of screwing something up.

B-Bass

Update:

I periodically called the retail store to check on the status of my bass. I don't think they had done squat, and I suspect that they hadn't even sent it in. At one point, when referring to the original bass, the salesman made a strange comment about me "signing something so I (the salesman) can put it back on the shelf".

So I believe they didn't even do anything with the old instrument. I don't think I'll buy from that store ever again...I mean hey, if they're willing to sell the instrument to another person in the hopes that they won't discover the trussrod issue, well that's TOTALLY unethical.

They made me an offer that seemed good, however, so I traded in the B-55 and with an extra $44 I went home with a new B-155. I've already had my luthier set up the bass, with nothing bad found. So I'm done and out and playing my bass now.

Gil

Direct from ESP's own webpage :)

TWO-WAY ADJUSTING TRUSS ROD
Most of our instruments are built using a 2-way adjusting truss rod. Unlike a traditional (single-adjusting) truss rod which is still commonly used on many other manufacturers’ instruments, our truss rod is adjustable both clockwise and counter-clockwise. With a single-adjusting truss rod, once you loosen the nut all the way, that is it. You are left with no more adjustment – this can leave your instrument unplayable if the neck cannot be adjusted properly. By using a 2-way truss rod we have eliminated the possibility of that ever happening.

B-Bass

Thanks, Gil.

But I can't visualize a "2-way adjusting truss rod" based on ESP's description.

I would think that EVERY truss rod is capable of being loosened or tightened, unless it left the factory already at it's maximum range in one direction or the other.

But that doesn't make sense... I would expect that guitar manufacturers would design and build their axes so that the truss rod is somewhere near its "midpoint" when the guitar leaves the factory. That would allow for end-user or luthier adjustments in either direction, so as to allow for custom adjustments, different string guages, etc.

If I was buying an airplane, well OF COURSE I'd want all of the nuts and bolts tightened. But for a guitar, I'd want the capbability to fine-tune it in either direction. Make sense? Or am I misinterpreting something here?

Gil

Thanks, Gil.

But I can't visualize a "2-way adjusting truss rod" based on ESP's description.

I would think that EVERY truss rod is capable of being loosened or tightened, unless it left the factory already at it's maximum range in one direction or the other.

But that doesn't make sense... I would expect that guitar manufacturers would design and build their axes so that the truss rod is somewhere near its "midpoint" when the guitar leaves the factory. That would allow for end-user or luthier adjustments in either direction, so as to allow for custom adjustments, different string guages, etc.

If I was buying an airplane, well OF COURSE I'd want all of the nuts and bolts tightened. But for a guitar, I'd want the capbability to fine-tune it in either direction. Make sense? Or am I misinterpreting something here?

what kinda silly man wants tight bolts and nuts on an airplane...THAT'S nuts.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread