EC500 or EX400? Any other suggestions?

Updated
metal-gilly
Hey guys, I want a guitar with a heavy sound, and that looks amazing, but I don't want a floyd rose in it and I don't want to break the bank! I was thinking of either a EC500, or a EX400. Anyone played either of these? Any comments about them? Any other suggestions for a different guitar?
metalhobo

The EC will have 24 frets and good access, the EX has 22 and not as good upper access. Try them both out at the store and see which one you like better.

N3rdAl3rt

The EC will have 24 frets and good access
i don't think it has good access

i'd still go with the ec, in white

daddydoomsday

ITs all up to what you want more. The EC or the EX? I have an FX-400 and an EC-400 and love them both. I find that the fret access is about the same. Even though they have the same pickup combo (81 and 60) I find the my EC has a little more bass response and my FX to be brighter. But I love them both. Keep in mind, that an EC is a hell of alot easier to get a case for.

metalhobo

i don't think it has good access

better than the EX

load more replies (1 of 1)
takesnogutz666

DEFINITELY EC

you will play the ex-400 (standing up of course) for about 30 seconds and want to return it. THE NECK DIVE IS THAT BAD!!! at least on my viper i can level the guitar with my forearm... but my viper only dives to about my hip and stops. the EX will go to the floor dude. i strongly suggest the EC... its got WAY better looks, the neck is amazing, high fret access DOES suck very bad but people i know that have les pauls say you get used to it... and the sounds better. and most of all, ITS BALANCED!!

Interloper

I have an Eclipse Standard and an EX400BD. As far as upper fret access I don't see much difference in the Eclipse or the EX. My Eclipse is heavier but it is balanced perfect. As far as the neck dive on the EX, it is not nearly as bad as on a viper. Of course there might be a weight difference in the EX400BD and the regular EX400 due to the diamond plate. Also I believe the EC's have 24 frets. If this is to be your main guitar I would keep that in consideration. If I did not have my Horizon NT-II, I would not have purchased my Eclipse or the EX for that very reason. The Eclipse does have a fuller bass response than the EX which is a brighter sounding guitar. However, I prefer the EX for down tuning anything below D standard. When down tuned the Eclipse seems to have almost too much bass. I do love both guitars but if this will be your only guitar i would have to recommend the EC for the simple fact that it will be more comfortable to play sitting down and the 2 extra frets that I didn't realize were so important until I got a guitar that did not have them. Hope that helps.

Post to Thread