Custom Tremolo?

Updated
bloodstyle
well when i reply to the f-50 question... i wonder if i could modify my guitar (by a luthier of course) to have a tremolo on it. as u know i have a ax-400... i wonder if i could put a floyd rose on it. is it good for the guitar or i would be really bad? and how much would it cost? (the bad things about modifying a guitar is you lost any warranty)
rockinhockey

Yeah probably not worth it. if you don't need it don't worry about it.

ShreddyMcFunTits

Just buy one with a floyd already on it.

bloodstyle

oh well i tough it would cost around 200$.... but i dont think it would cost more than the guitar itself...

N3rdAl3rt

teh floyd itself will cost you 200 or more

Gwedo

Hi

I have owned a Grass Roots explorer for about 11 years, it has been a great solid guitar. I fitted it EMGs so the pickups are not stock but that’s about it. Like lots of people I saw Hetfield playing a smilar guitar …I was young and had no money so this was the closest thing to it!

But….I have just bought a “real” ESP, I believe it is a mid/late 90s model ESP custom Bolt in Black with custom on the back of the headstock and on the front.

How much of a difference is there between the two? Has anyone played both? I’m hoping there is a large ish difference but they look identical lol

I’m really stuck as the Grass Roots was my first real ish guitar shall we say and I was 17 and it means a lot to me (sad I know) but the real ESP is the one I have always wanted ….I cant afford to keep both doh! Lol

Anyway, its still in customs at the moment so I am yet to get my hands on it, but if anyone has played both any advice would be great.

Cheers!

load more replies (10 of 28)
The Edge Of Darkness

buy a new guitar, I thought I could buy a non-tremolo guitar and put the floyd later, then I checked how much it would cost and they said it would cost 500€. I bought a new floyd rose guitar for 540€ and that's better

DethWar

Personaly I HATE having to deal with one. I wouldnt have even considered buying my f-2005 if it had a trem on it. However I acknowledge that there are people out there that love em so I guess if you really need one heres the two criteria to look at before modding your guitar. 1) There are no other guitars w/ a floyd that you like and 2) You have a lot of extra cash you wanna throw around.
Otherwise, just purchase a 2nd guitar.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ShreddyKrueger

man i wouldn't even think about a floyd rose. they only cause friggin problems(unless you like one tuning) that might just be my preference but a routing is not the pain. it's the actual shaving down the neck for a locking nut and making sure the scale length is right and all that crap. but if you do want a floyd guitar buy one already equipped.

B-Bass

Well, I know that this isn't a financial advice forum, but...

When you're young is EXACTLY when you should be saving. Just putting $2,000 into a retirement account each year from ages 18 to 24 can bring you almost $800,000 by the time you're 65.

That assumes that you stop contributing at age 24, don't withdraw any money until age 65, and that your investments make about 10% per year, which is not too hard to do with a decent mutual fund.

Just imagine what a bigger contribution or a longer contribution time-line would do for your net worth! And think of the freedom to do what you want when you're in your sixties...you could teach kindergarteners for free to play electric guitar if you want...

But yeah, I TOTALLY understand Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) all too much, especially when you're young... I'm not that young, but I was once. And I still suffer from GAS...I just bought a bass that I most certainly don't need. :)

So, my advice? Avoid screwing up the older axe. Instead, buy a new guit with the equipment you want. Keep the old one as a spare, or if you really like the new one a LOT more than the old one, then sell the old one. You could put the proceeds from the sale of the old guitar into your retirement account...

load more replies (1 of 1)
the_emptier

yeah dude, the companies out in germany pretty much aren't shipping floyd roses until spring so its pretty hard to find floyds. besides on ebay, but sometimes those are just rip-offs, scams etc. i would rather buy direct. and the cost to route your guitar and labor fees, wow that'd be a pain especially not worth it for that guitar

capoeiraesp

Dude look it in this light as well. The AX-400 isn't exactly an attractive guitar for most people so resale is already more difficult than owning something more standard. By adding a floyd you could swing both ways on its potential for re-sale. The money you spend on getting your guitar routed and the floyd itself will add a very minimal increase in value to a guitar like an AX-400.

Post to Thread