ESP M-1 - Help required

Updated
ESP M-1 - Help required

Hello folks -  I was hoping for a little bit of help. About 25 years ago, I picked up a second hand ESP M-1 in a little local music shop. I'm not entirely certain the guys there were too aware of ESP and maybe just considered it to be a generic "Strat Copy".

I've been wondering for a while about its age and, naturally, its value. I know from the off that it's not one of those I see on e-bay worth thousands - it's not a custom, it's got a rosewood neck, not a throughbody, no floating tremolo and admittedly needs a bit of TLC. I've seen one similar posted on a forum where the guy had taken the neck off and there was a date of 1986 written in pencil, but I don't trust my basic skills to even attempt doing that.

It does have a hockey stick head, a Made in Japan stamp, numbered 6246 and the plate on the neck says 01793. I've attached pictures below.

Any information anyone can give would be much appreciated - due to kids, middle age and a slow realisation that I might not now become a major heavy metal star as I'd once hoped, it's not been played for years, but it would seem a shame not to find out about it if I ever got rid.

You can see it's missing the bit of metal behind the neck whose name I've never actually learned. The metalbarstringthingmajig.

It does say 01793, I think. Got scraped on belt buckles as a teen.

Tremolo back plate is missing sadly, due to me removing it sometime in the mid 90s and being too lazy to have put it back on again.

Many thanks in advance

Shaun

Well if you do decide to part with it. please inform me. I missed out on one identical to that a couple months ago. Sold for about 550 which at the time was JUST out of my price range. I'm looking for one just like it. The color is perfect, non Floyd, banana headstock, I love it.

Raider_77

Hi do you still have the guitar? I might be interested 

David  H.

Missed these replies at the time guys sorry - I still have the guitar. Initially I wasn't concerned about selling it, as despite never playing it anymore, it does hold some sentimental value due to it being part of my floppy haired teenage years - I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the potential year etc/value. However, I am open to offers due to impending separation :(

Raider_77

Yeah I had to sell a Jackson USA Solist recently.Message me David at iron_raider@yahoo.com 

Raider_77

Do it have the case? Shoot me an email at iron_raider@yahoo.com

Michael B.

Bumping this thread David as I think we've got very similar guitars - did you ever find out much about it such as it's year or sell it?

Also numbered 6246 but is 01795 on the plate.

Funnily enough my stringthingmajig also got lost along the way somewhere but have since learnt they are called a string retainer and can be picked up for a few quid online.

Post to Thread