Pre-Tiered ~vs~ Original / Sig Series

Updated
Pre-Tiered ~vs~ Original / Sig Series

I know there is a noticeable difference between, say a Standard Series and a K/S/T serial, buuuut ... 

What is the consensus on the Pre-Tiered ESP (Late 80's - Early 90's) vs the K/S/T serials? Are there as much of a difference? Were they all made to the same quality as the "higher end" ESP are today?

I don't notice much difference in quality / playability between my '99 KH-2 and my older Pre-Teired ESP. Thinking about my next addition being an Original series, but don't feel like spending the extra $ if I'm not going to notice a difference really.

mehegama

What do you mean by tiered? The K/S/T refers to the different custom shops ESP had and each one was focusing on different things (bolt ons vs neck thrus etc) It was not one better than the other. 

Xander_X

"Pre-Teired" refers to before there were "series" (Standard, Signature, Original, E-II). When everything was just ESP basically. 

Basically asking if I should notice much of a difference in build quality between a late 80's / early 90's ESP and a later model with a K or S serial.

mehegama

In my opinion they were better made, closer to the custom shop than the standard series post 2004 (saying this as an owner of pre series, older custom shop, newer custom shop and standard series guitars)

Xander_X

So you think the old ESP were better (or even equal to) made than the current Original and Signature series stuff?

I have, and have had, plenty of older ESP and ESP Standards, but only ever laid my hands on one Kiso, and that's my KH-2. I can't say that I really notice a difference between it and my '93 M-II Deluxe as far as quality. I think my brain wants to think it's better though. 

I can see a difference between the old ESP and the Standard Series. Its not night and day, but enough to notice. 

mehegama

I m not saying it s day and night but in my opinion the older esps where closer to the current originals than the standard series. Check also the old catalogs and you ll see that pricewise they were very close to the current originals pricing (taken into account inflation). Also there was way less cnc and capability of mass production back then, for example the 48th street which was hand made/assembled with imported japanese parts.

Xander_X

Right. I've actually had a couple 48th St ESP. I've just been asking this question for the last couple years with no real answer.

I just don't want to break my back investing in an Original Series if the return isn't going to be a better guitar than a classic ESP.

mehegama

the originals are totally hand made. In reality the difference will be marginal to be honest. If you want a more custom instrument go for it. Otherwise you cant go wrong with an 80s-90s one in good condition, with a fraction of the cost.

Post to Thread