Need some help with a 95 Mirage

Updated
TheB1GLebowski

I recently bought a used 1995 ESP Mirage off of eBay and now that its in my hands Im thinking it might be a fake.  The build quality is real nice, frets are smooth on the sides, fit and finish of the guitar is good, neck pocket was cnc machined great, but here is why I think it might be faked.  From some pics that I have found online of both floyd and Wilkinson bridges the truss rod adjuster is on the top on Wilkinson bridges and on the bottom on Floyd bridges, this one has a Wilkinson brigde and the truss rod adjustment is at the bottom, the Wilkinson bridge doesnt have Wilkinson stamped in it (the seller said this was all original), the nut looks and feels like a weird material (not plastic or bone by feel) almost like carbon, the Low E keeps jumping the nut and popping off even with mild strumming.  I dont know man, there are parts of this that look and feel like quality but then there are these few things that just kinda stand out.  I cant find much real info on older Mirage models online.  Let me know what you think about this and if this is legit or a fake.  Thanks for the help.

Pushead

It looks legit to me.  I don't have any experience with this model (or at least this era of the model) but the logos all look correct, the neck plate looks correct, the inlays...

The headstock shape seems older than 95 to me, but I see more of them in the non-reverse style, so that might be part of it.

TheB1GLebowski

Thanks for the reply.  Its indeed a 95 from the dates on the neck pocket and neck heel.  Neck in october 95 and body setptember 95. 

jt76

It legitimate - usually these have more rounded horns - however I have seen some with the squared off edges like yours. 

I assume it was perhaps a transitional model year where the shape and headstock combination changed. 

TheB1GLebowski

Thank you for the information.  

Steve H.

I recently bought a used 1995 ESP Mirage off of eBay and now that its in my hands Im thinking it might be a fake.  The build quality is real nice, frets are smooth on the sides, fit and finish of the guitar is good, neck pocket was cnc machined great, but here is why I think it might be faked.  From some pics that I have found online of both floyd and Wilkinson bridges the truss rod adjuster is on the top on Wilkinson bridges and on the bottom on Floyd bridges, this one has a Wilkinson brigde and the truss rod adjustment is at the bottom, the Wilkinson bridge doesnt have Wilkinson stamped in it (the seller said this was all original), the nut looks and feels like a weird material (not plastic or bone by feel) almost like carbon, the Low E keeps jumping the nut and popping off even with mild strumming.  I dont know man, there are parts of this that look and feel like quality but then there are these few things that just kinda stand out.  I cant find much real info on older Mirage models online.  Let me know what you think about this and if this is legit or a fake.  Thanks for the help.

I have the same guitar. Same color even. Its not a fake. Its,suppose to have the wilkinson bridge and sperzel locking tuners. The 95 to 98 models have this set up. Not a Floyd Rose. Can I ask what you paid for it? 

Post to Thread