Hello, sort of new here

Updated
Andrei M.

Big fan of ESP of course, use them on stage pretty much exclusively!

thought I just shared couple of photos of my 3 Eclipses, EMGs are about to go from the vintage white one, I just got it!

Cheers!

Pushead

Very nice.  Welcome.

Big Daddy B

Nice collection. Where are you located? And what pickups are you putting into the Vintage White?

Andrei M.

Im in DC area, not quiet sure yet, I've got SD '59 - JB in silver sprakle, Gibson 490R - 498T in white and most likely gonna go with different SDs or dimarzios in vintage white one.

Also got an american special tele and american deluxe strat along with my gibson lp studio

Guiguitarz

Welcome to the board Andrei ! Nice collection, thanks for sharing.

Big Daddy B
Andrei M. wrote:

Im in DC area, not quiet sure yet, I've got SD '59 - JB in silver sprakle, Gibson 490R - 498T in white and most likely gonna go with different SDs or dimarzios in vintage white one.

Also got an american special tele and american deluxe strat along with my gibson lp studio

I've got the 57 Classic/57 Classic+ combo in one of my LPs and like it a lot. People used to trash them years ago but suddenly now everyone likes them again. I bought a set of Burstbucker Pros to install into another les paul but have not done so yet. A lot of guys on the LP boards seem to like Bare Knuckles pickups a lot. What sounds are you going for or what type of music do you like to play? I will insert the disclaimer here that I mainly use EMGs. Is there a particular reason you don't like the EMGs?

Andrei M.

I used to play lots of metal, now mainly I play pop-rock on stage and do all kinds of music as a session studio guitarist. EMGs seem a little compressed to me, to clean to sterile almost?! I've had '57 classics in my snow white eclipse for a while and did not love them. Think they are a bit too bassy with no high-end bite, they would be perfect for jazz I think. Bareknucles are great but not sure I love them, I'm still thinking, I remember really liking EMG H4 HZ, despite other people opinions. 

Cheers!

Big Daddy B

Yes that would also be my observation on the 57 Classic. The bass on mine is very mighty, but I actually like that. It's somewhat similar to my EMG 85 in my LP Custom neck which is also very bassy. The reason I ask is because if you have used EMGs for a long time, like I have, they have come out with some new models that I wasn't even aware of. The 57/66 combo seems to get a lot of love, even from passive players. If you are set on passive and have an idea what you are looking for, Duncan now has a custom shop that will make pickups for you....or you can always check out all the boutique shops like RS, Creamtone, etc.

The guy that posted up above, Pushead, he owns and plays a lot of Eclipses and some les pauls as well so may have some suggestions too.

Pushead

I'm mostly running medium output pickups in anything that isn't EMG.  I run a DiMarzio Norton (bridge) and 36th Anniversary PAF (neck) on a few.  Maybe a bit beefy for what you're looking at.  I have played the 36th Anniversary PAF in the bridge, and that was a nice, balanced, vintage sound.  I also had a set of Suhr SSH+ (bridge) and SSV (neck) (or maybe I've got that backwards) with coil-splits wired in, which was higher output than the 36th, but still pretty balanced sounding.  I enjoyed them.

Andrei M.

36th dimarzio pafs are probably a very good option for me

ESP 348

Great collection, welcome to the forum.

Andrei M.

So before I could decide which pickups to put in, had a friend give me BurtBuckers 3 and 1....happened to be zebras, fit fine, just installed them today so not sure how I feel about them quiet yet! but here it is :

Pushead

Burstbucker 3 is pretty nice.  A bit dialed back, output wise, for what I like, but it's a nice, round sounding pickup.  I like the zebras in the guitar, but those bobbins look a bit pink compared to the nice cream.  I have zebras in my white one.

Andrei M.

My favorite pickups are 496R and 498T and JB - '59/jazz so I generally like medium output pickups. So far it seems good, I only had a chance to play it for 1 hour today, in about a week or two, or maybe after I take it out and play a show with it, I can form an opinion if anyone is interested

Pushead

How do you like the mini Mark V?  And is that a Classic 30 next to it?  I love that amp.

Andrei M.

I love my Mark V 25, its the best amp I've ever had! next to it is a Blues Jr, just the tweed version

Post to Thread