ESP LTD Viper 400 buying doubts

Updated
JohnsViper

Hello everyone

I just bought this viper I had been wanting for... like... 8 years, and this one appeared in my countrys, colombia, web site to buy and sell your stuff, I paid in dollars about 255 for it so that is something I am worried about, it seems I paid too low. The headstock has a big chip and the union between the neck and the body has some cracks which I believe is just the lacquer but can't tell if it is something deeper. 

The last thing about it is that the cables are soldered in a very unclean way to the knobs and pots, 

however the guitar sounds amazing, it does not have any kind of interference and it still perfectly tuned.

The guitar is made in Korea and the SN starts with U0600

Thanks a lot!

JohnsViper

Pushead

Hi John,

The guitar is a legitimate LTD, so no worries there.  Considering the condition, the price is pretty fair, or at least in the US.  The damage to the headstock is unfortunate, but nothing that will harm the guitar. 

The cracks around the neck joint are just stress cracks.  Because there is so little wood at the neck joint, Vipers (and SGs and Explorers) often develop them.  It looks like the wood underneath is still solid, there are no visible gaps in the glue joints.

The wiring is a bit sloppy, but it looks like the connections are fairly solid.  I thought those came with EMGs from the factory, so maybe a previous owner put something else in, but re-installed the EMGs before selling.  If the electronics are functioning properly, I wouldn't worry about it.  If you're getting some buzz, I'd try to re-heat the areas where the grounds connect to the top of the pots.

JohnsViper

Thank you very very much for answering, it's a relief!

JohnsViper

I have one last question, the serial number, I know U is the factory and 06 is 2006 but what is 00? the 0 week of 2006? that I didnt get.

Post to Thread