MX 220 real?

Updated
MX 220 real?

Hello,

You regulars must be getting tired of people seeking to get their ESP certified,

but I've got another one->

It has an Epiphone jack, passive pickups with EMG enscribed, knobs that are not centred properly and

a high end looking curved slot in the tailpiece. 3 of the neck dots are not centred to the frets.

It would be nice to know if I have overspent, I thought it was real so paid a bit.

Rock On! Nick

I'll be back with better photos today

edit-added more photos

Nathan S.

I'm sure better expert opinions will chime in. But the first thing that would have sounded the fake alarm to me is the bright snow white finish. MX220 would have been the yellower  Olympic white plus it would have yellowed more with the age it would be as well.

Nathan S.

I may be wrong but the body looks more 250ish as well with a 220 headstock.

Nicholas J.

Thanks for your pinting out those 2 things Nathan,

It very well may be fake,

does anyone know with certainty?

Cheers

Nicholas J.

It stays in tune, but only has a middling action.

It sounds real good, especially down low.

It has no serial.

I bought it off a mate who got it from a pawn shop.

Oh no- I really paid too much for this I guess.

The finish is really nice. I still like it.

Thanks for your opinion

RZK

Cavity isn't shielded. Wiring looks off. No name tuners. Pics are too small to tell 100%.

Probably fake.

ESPEXP

I would say no. I don't think any MX-220 would stay that white. The logo is off and that truss rod cover, I've only seen it on James' EET FUK explorer from 1987, they soon changed that to a two screw truss rod cover in 1988. If it was made in 1987 or 1988 it'd prolly have the step neck joint as well. SO FAKE IMO.

Pushead

Not even close.

Nicholas J.

Yeah, I don't know why I thought it was real. Thanks for the replies.

Enjoy the feel of the real deal- keep rocking out

Breadfan32

Hope you didn't pay too much fake for sure as soon as I saw the ESP logo

Carlos M.

I picked one up a few months ago. I wanted to know some info and emailed customer support. And got the bad news it's not legit. 

Pushead

Sorry man, the headstock shape and the logos are easy tells that it's a fake.

Post to Thread