ESP Eclipse - Fabulous or Fake?

Updated
Darryl M.

Hi guys,

I've recently had my attention drawn to a 2007 Eclipse that someone is trying to shift. I've managed to get some photos from the vendor and have compared them to my own 2007 model. Lots of things look spot-on about the guitar, but others are a bit... Off, at least when compared to my own and others that I have seen.

First thing to say is that the serial number looks perfectly legitimate and the finish, headstock and binding seem right on. Four things though raise concerns:

1. No ESP 'circle' on the back of the headstock (though I seem to recall that that is not a universal ESP feature).

2. Grover machine heads, rather than the locking ones that I have on my 2006 (why would anyone make that swap?).

3. Rosewood board, rather than ebony. I can't recall ever having seen a 00s-era Eclipse that wasn't packing ebony.

4. The back electical cavity and plate are a different shape. Mine is a kind of squared, almost coffin-shaped configuration, whereas the offered one is very rounded, like a traditional Gibson.

Obviously I could tell a lot more by going and having a look, but there's some considerable journey time and a bit of expense involved, plus I am hardly an ESP expert, so I'd like to get a second (or more!) opinion before heading up there. So, from the images that I've attached, what do you guys think?

Thanks for any input.

D.

sy t.

Hi guys, need advice. Fake or real

gui tar

hello everybody

need some advice on this guitar

listed as a 1995 made in Japan ESP eclipse custom shop guitar with Seymour Duncan Livewire Dave Mustaine active pickups for sale at about 850 $US

is it legit or a copy ? is the price fair or overpriced ?

thank you in advance

for comparaison , pictures of a fake ESP eclipse II pack for sale at 260 $US

Pushead

The natural finish Eclipse is legit. $850 seems high to me, but I don't know the market in your area.

The ebony guitar below it is a fake.

Steve  P.

Way overpriced.  I had an 80s aria pro II knight warrior made in Japan.  By far, THE ABSOLUTE WORST GUITAR IVE OWNED.  But it was also in 1983.  I can say that the Japanese were horrible at making  guitars in the 80s.  I had to coil pots on it, and they were wired wrong out of the box.  Had a Kahler Flyer tremelo system on it from the factory.  That it and of itself was simply  a poorly made bridge.  The 3 small hex screws that locked at the bridge would never stay tight.  So i spent more time tuning it than i did playing it.  It was heavy as hell, so the wood was nice if you like heavy guitars.  Was easily 13-14 pounds.    

JosE(S)Ph

ESP made great Japanese guitars in the 80s.  My ESP Mirage Deluxe with the lawsuit headstock is the best guitar I've ever played.  They even reissued it as an LTD in the 1987 series.

gui tar

Thank you for your answers

so it's legit but overpriced

i'll keep my cheap squier then

JosE(S)Ph

If it's legit, it is not overpriced.  People declaring guitars fake may not know what they are talking about.  In the old days, ESP did a lot of things that weren't like the catalog like adding a pickup, reversing the headstock and changing the fretboard wood.  The records back then are non-existent and even the ESP guys don't know everything about guitars older than a certain point.  I have emails from them trying to get specs on some guitars I had from the 80s and they could only speculate.  All the old ESPs I had were slightly different from the one in the catalog, which also had sparse technical information.  I bought them all new from ESP dealers and back then there was nobody making fake ESPs.

sy t.

Hi guys, seen this advertised, looks too good to be true. Genuine or suspect? Appreciate any help.

Pushead

It's legit.

sy t.

Okay guys, another one for you. 5his one says it’s a 1999 USA custom. No serial numbers or stamps, and a bolt on.

The guy admits he knows nothing about this guitar. 

“I asked ESP about it since there's no serials listed - they pointed me to the 1999 ESP product catalog. Afterwards, took it apart to do a thorough inspection and discovered the writing you see in the neck (see the photos) - "S 10-20-97P". So not sure what to make of that - 1997 model? 1998? 1999? Not sure. Just going off of what ESP said.

I am the second owner of this, I believe. Bought it from an acquaintance, not sure when or where he got it from and I have no way to contact them anymore“

Pushead

The ESP USA is also legit. For a short time in the late 90s there were a run of guitars, almost all bolt-on, that were built here in the US.

sy t.

Oh wow about the ESP USA. The price is so cheap

sy t.

Hi guys.  ive seen this online at about $1300 in japan.  just wondering if genuine. seller has no other information

Pushead

Mid 80s Vintage Plus. They moved away from the rear mounted nuts by the late 80s.

Max N.

Help please! Is this a real or a fake??

Pushead

It's legit. A 2006 Eclipse I CTM.

Max N.

Cheers man

Pushead

It's legit. A 2008 model.

Post to Thread