Poly on the nut

Updated
h. t.

There are a few smelly things about my ESP Eclipse. The ebony fretboard feels too smooth my fingers almost stick too it. If I press my finger on the board and drag, it makes the same noise you get from dragging finger on clean glass. I wonder if the fretboards on ESP eclipse are supposed to be like this, or if my fingerboard is poly finished and sanded.
Poly is also applied in excess to the neck. Sides and top of the nut are covered in think poly(see image). I can't see the nut being replaced without cracking the poly, the sides and top of the nut are almost buried in poly. Mostly everything else is fine, fret are shiny and fret ends are round and smooth, the nut job seems good, no blemish, plays fine. The tone is nice, straight into a blackstar HT-1r which is all I've got at the moment.
I got it from a very reputable esp retailer, so I don't think its fake. I have seen thick poly all over the place on low end guitars but this is a Japanese made eclipse. Have any of you guys had a similar experience with poly over the nut and probably over the fretboard?
I have an old yamaha pacifica(310 or something) which actually plays better(doesn't have the tone though), but I might just be more used to the old guitar. I also had a Japanese Ibanez which I sold a few years ago, with fantastic build quality(the tone wasn't as nice as the ESP but still good). I wonder if this is specific to my eclipse or if ESP poly dips the guitars. 

Pushead

They just polish the ebony really well.  In a few weeks it'll wear down.

The poly over the nut is common for ESP.  An experienced luthier will be able to replace the nut without any issues.  That's what razor blades are for.

Duraes87

My EX has the same polly thing on the nut. Does not bother me at all, I actually think its better looking and smoother... but like Pushead said, a experienced luthier will handle it without finish issues

h. t.

Yeah, the ebony is just so high quality and very welll polished. The fingerboard is so good it seemed literally unbelivable at first...  

So the poly around the nut won't be a problem. It won't need replacing antime soon anyway, It's a bone nut cut to perfection. I've got a little more used to the XJ frets and the neck profile, it plays like a dream now.   

Post to Thread