Eclipse Standard will not stay in tune
I picked up a second hand Eclipse II (2012) from my work about 2 weeks ago, and even after a pro set up it will not stay in tune.
It just seems like these gotoh's aren't holding the tuning at all. I'm using 54-11 for CGCFAD.
Any ideas? If I can't fix this soon I'll have to return and then I'll most liekly not pick up a SCT607B, I'll just be looking for othe avenues. Its a shame cause I love this guitar, but I cant have this issue, even more so the thuning is drastically going out.
I am assuming that you have standard non locking tuners
54 - 11's should not be giving this guitar any problems
- your tech sucks
- not enough string wrapped around the tuners - replace the strings
- tuners are loose, tighten the screws on the tuning keys,
- bad strings - old strings won't stay in tune, occasionally I get new strings that just don't play nice either. another set of strings doesn't cost that much.
- bad intonation - did the pro set up included checking the intonation, bad intonation can make it impossible tune the guitar.
- strings catching at nut or bridge - after you get in tune pull your strings away from the guitar anywhere between the nut and the bridge - then retune, then repeat until pulling on them no longer makes the guitar go out of tune. Should only take about 2- 4 times to get it right, if it keeps going out of tune when pulling on the strings there is something else wrong.
- bad tuners - it's unlikely but previous owner could have stripped the gears in the tuners if you like the guitar that much a new set of tuners dosent cost that much compared to an eclipse ii
also check your frets, it unlikely on a guitar of that age, fret wear can cause tuning issuse also, this would be a fairly costly repair. flat spots or groves under the strings are signs of wear.
good luck, hope thats helpful
It has Gotoh Magnum locking. New strings. Maybe the strings are catching, he did a full set up and he works for some pretty big bands as a tech so i doubt its the set up, but everyine has off days. I was thinking it was the tuners cause the just seem like they arent holding the string...