• jt76

    its a thin veneer

    technically a cap and a veneer are both veneers.   Typically the thin veneer looks better, because of the thin cut, a better book match is possible. also because of the lower cost for a thin veneer the manufacturer can be more selective when choosing which veneer to use.   a "cap" however is more expensive and also more durable,  less likely to chip and break off and it can be sanded down if you want to do restoration work later in the guitars life.   foto flame ( available on cheap guitars from other manufacturers ) is a picture of wood that has been veneered onto the face of the guitar,  if you are looking are guitars in the eclipse price range this should not come up as an option.      

    • TT

      "Thin" is relative.  It's not as thin as say an Epiphone flame or quilted top, and it's also not as thick as a Gibson LP Standard maple "cap".  Yes, the cap is more durable as it can restored.  But, when was the last time you needed that done to one of you veneer tops?  I haven't even heard any of my friends needing that work done on their veneers or Gibsons.

      I also wouldn't call an actual carved cap, ala Gibson, a "veneer".  A veneer is a cosmetic application that's put on over the top of a lesser quality wood.  On a Gibson the body is mahogany and the cap is carved and bonded to the mahogany, not simply applied as a cosmetic veneer.  The Eclipse also have a maple cap, and then that cap has a veneer.

      OP, there are also various thickness veneers and ESP, IIRC, uses a thicker veneer than something like an Epiphone.  So if it needed repair there is more wood to do so.  It's something between a cap and veneer.  Maybe we could call it a "carved veneer"?  :)