ESP through amp modeler?

Updated
Cuzzin Chizzy
Was thinking about buying an ESP Horizon NT-II as an upgrade from the LTD MH-250NT. Would I still notice as much of an improvement in sound going through an amp modeler for recording as I would running through an actual amp rig? Just wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. That's a lot of money for me to spend right now but I want to have better tone. Or should I just upgrade my LTD with new pups, bridge, tuners, etc.? Opinions?
Pushead

It depends on what you're using as an amp modeler, and why you're using an amp modeler in the first place.

JonCurcio

Was thinking about buying an ESP Horizon NT-II as an upgrade from the LTD MH-250NT.

Would I still notice as much of an improvement in sound going through an amp modeler for recording as I would running through an actual amp rig? Just wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. That's a lot of money for me to spend right now but I want to have better tone. Or should I just upgrade my LTD with new pups, bridge, tuners, etc.? Opinions?

Amp modelers can be tricky in how they translate the guitar sound. My MH-250NT had an Evolution in the bridge and sounded better through a POD than my Horizon which has an X2N, but I didn't do an apples to apples comparison as I had to get rid of the MH at one point before I got the Horizon. I haven't tried an Evolution in the Horizon but I imagine it would sound a little better for that application for me. The X2N is very hot and can be mid spikey, which is emphasized through the POD. When using a real amp it compresses in a more toneful way and doesn't sound as narrow and spikey.

So, what I'm saying is that it comes down to the range and balance of what the guitar is putting out and the pickups used to create that sound, and what the input of the modeler is voiced to prefer. If you're looking to make the modeler sound a lot better than it does, a more expensive guitar won't add a lot to that. Finding a pickup that compliments your guitar well and fits the modeler will help more.

Great tracks could be made with either the LTD or the ESP and the difference would be subtle. It comes down more to what feels right and how well the guitars play for you. The texture and subtle quality to the tone on the Horizon might be more to your taste, or you may get a dead plank at a high price tag. The fidelity of the modeler sound isn't likely to change much though, just the flavor of that tone.

Cuzzin Chizzy

Live in a small house with 2 roommates. They both work 2nd shift. I work 3rd shift. Plus I don't think I have the space for setting that up in my small room. Trying to mic an amp rig and record it is not the best option for me in these living conditions and I've obtained some pretty decent results so far with amp modeling. Just looking for that next step is all.

Currently using the Digitech GNX4 with the Supermodels disc, the RP1000 and the Roland GR-55 guitar synthesizer with Cosm amp modeling. Also Amplitube X Gear VST in Cubase6.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Pushead

After reading the OPs thread on the LTD forum, an upgrade will benefit your sound. I'm not usually one that would say that a better guitar would be a significant difference in sound, but an NT-II will definitely feel better than the NT-250. While changing pickups in the 250 will certainly help, the NT-II is going to be better all the way around.

As for sound through the modelers you're using, I think it will be noticeable. But in general with "lower cost" modeling systems (POD, etc.) my experience is that they sound pretty similar no matter the guitar or pickups. But I'm typically dealing with high saturation sounds, so again your experience might be different.

Post to Thread