Edwards FR-130GT - Crack near pickup?

Updated
NightwindKing
Alright so I can't post the link to the photo just yet because of the blcoker on this work computer (Ill do so at lunch), but a guy's selling an FR-130GT that looks beautiful except for a small crack in the laquer/paint/whatever between the tuner and the bridge pickup. Ill post the photo link but is this something that I ought to avoid like the plague? I mean it seems to be mainly cosmetic...but how much does it really effect the instrument? Thanks again for putting-up with my noob questions about guitar damage!
slovakzombiehero

That thing between the 5th and 4th bridge saddles? If that's what he was trying to take a photo of, then he needs a lesson on how to take an effective photo of something...

It doesn't look like it's that bad, but it's in a weird place. I wonder how that happened.

NightwindKing

lol I agree. he's obviously a terrible photographer...but he's in college so Ill let it slip. ;-)

Yeah I'll ask him about how it got there and how deep it goes as it's kinda hard to tell. I'm not actually sure this is a new photo...I think he just zoomed-in on one of the ones on the listing.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Spoonylove

Either way, other than the previous owner being bad at changing strings, I see no issue. If the price is right, I wouldn't let that factor into your decision on purchasing it. Granted, if he's that bad at set-ups, he could've messed something else up as well, lol.

NightwindKing

Either way, other than the previous owner being bad at changing strings, I see no issue. If the price is right, I wouldn't let that factor into your decision on purchasing it. Granted, if he's that bad at set-ups, he could've messed something else up as well, lol.

Awesome! Thanks guys!
Yeah I asked him and he said it is just in the paint/lacquer and doesnt go into the body wood at all. He said it's from when his friend was setting-up the Floyd Rose and it snapped forward and hit the wood near the setting.

I'm going to make him an offer this evening, so well see how it goes.

On a side note: do you guys have any suggestions about either how to re-lacquer the crack or else where/how to find someone who could?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Spoonylove

Yep, a pencil should do fine.

fistacuffs

That crack looks really bad. from dive bombing the string saddle in to the wood.

look how the floyd post is pulled forward. the trem is sitting far forward in the routing.

NightwindKing

That crack looks really bad. from dive bombing the string saddle in to the wood.

look how the floyd post is pulled forward. the trem is sitting far forward in the routing.

What would you suggest then?
Yeah I think that's what he said happened basically.
I'm not sure what to do then. Is it a huge problem? Will it effect the sound of the instrument? Should I cancel the order?

slovakzombiehero

Wasn't there an ESP Reindeer you were looking at for 880? I would be going after that if I were you...

I don't think that crack is that big of a deal, it's more of a chip that a crack from what I can tell. But then again that's like diagnosing someone based on a youtube video. :|

NightwindKing

Wasn't there an ESP Reindeer you were looking at for 880? I would be going after that if I were you...

I don't think that crack is that big of a deal, it's more of a chip that a crack from what I can tell. But then again that's like diagnosing someone based on a youtube video. :|

Yeah very true.
Arg. So frustrating. I mean I shouldnt have been a dumbass and should have made him get a pick of the side of the crack before I paid. Now Ill have to go through all the paypal and ebay crap to cancel.
But I dont WANT to cancel. I WANT one of those guitars: Id just prefer it didn't have the crack.
I can't find anything anywhere online for less than 1000 that looks like a quality guitar. the grassroots, while cool looking, are apparently crap. I'd like it to be in the same style as one used by one of the bands I like, which are mainly visual kei. Which basically means it has to be and ESP of some type: either original series or Edwards.
Original Series is WAY too expensive for me right now. Edwards is my best bet. But the only ones that look cool with good gear are over 1000.

So you see my predicament. On the one hand even if I DONT have to pay to get this crack fixed, I WILL have to upgrade the gear for about 250. So that's 950 for a cracked guitar. And I cant even get a new one for that!

slovakzombiehero

I understand your predicament, but I think you're overreacting about the crack, which like I said seems like some chipped off wood rather than a crack through the body or something.

It's understandable that when you're paying a certain price you'd want your investment to be in the best possible condition, but when you buy used you have to take what you can get. I still think that Edwards is a good deal, and that you'll be happy with it.

NightwindKing

I understand your predicament, but I think you're overreacting about the crack, which like I said seems like some chipped off wood rather than a crack through the body or something.

It's understandable that when you're paying a certain price you'd want your investment to be in the best possible condition, but when you buy used you have to take what you can get. I still think that Edwards is a good deal, and that you'll be happy with it.

lol well your optimism is certainl more promising than the "that's terrible yer scr3w3d" option ....

Yeah I mean, I'm fine with grap gear cus I can upgrade that to my taste. But I want the body, the things I can't really change on my own, to be in good condition, ya know?

fistacuffs

The crack is throwing you off. That is just a scratch probably and will never affect the playability.

BUT

1 Why is the d string saddle out so far that it put that scratch on the wood

2 why do the floyd rose trem mounting posts look pulled forward. this would mean the wood surrounding the post would have to be doweled and re drilled.

you should pull the bridge off and make sure the posts are perpendicular to the guitar. if not pass

NightwindKing

The crack is throwing you off. That is just a scratch probably and will never affect the playability.

BUT

1 Why is the d string saddle out so far that it put that scratch on the wood

2 why do the floyd rose trem mounting posts look pulled forward. this would mean the wood surrounding the post would have to be doweled and re drilled.

you should pull the bridge off and make sure the posts are perpendicular to the guitar. if not pass

I can get you more picks of the guitar... I looked and you're right the posts do look REALLY far-leaned forward. If it's a problem with the FR I can just replace that easily. I just sent the dude an email asking for him to take the rose out and send me a picture of the tream mounting... so that should give me/us an idea of what the inside looks like.

fistacuffs

Reason i said anything was

I wanted an old charvel at a great price but one of the floyd posts had streched (the wood around the post) into an oval shape so the whole bridge was crooked in the routing

that is why it was for sale cheap.

NightwindKing

Ah, gotcha. yeah that would make me wary too,

I don't think that's the problem with this guitar. I just heard that he'd shipped it before taking another picture (bastard) but we'll see when it gets here... should be here in two days since I paid for expedited.
About the Floyd Rose tuners being really far forward...I don't know why but for some reason he had mislabeled it: I thought it was a Floyd Rose Special, but actually it's an Original, and on the Original the tuners DO stand up straight normally. So the angle is as it should be.
As far as being forward in the casing, I doubt he modded it at all...this guy may be a douchebag but he's a stupid one...so much so that it was his friend who tuned the Floyd Rose for him (and subsequently made the chip when it sprung forward), and is also an idiot. So....yeah. i doubt he'd had either the skill or the motivation to change the mounting at all.

I looked at it again and I dont think the tuner is moved forward at all...I think the Original is just set in a larger mounting that was meant for the Special. But I guess we'll see when it gets here! I took the photos in to Sam Ash the other day and talked to their repair guy, and he said he'd check it out and re-lacuer it for free if that's what it needs, but basically agreed that I'm screwed if the chip is a crack and goes into the wood at all.

On the plus side, while I was there I saw they had a really nice Horizon II for only 650, so.....if I have to resell this I might just pick that up.

fistacuffs

well, let the tits out of the bag

whats this edwards look like

slovakzombiehero

The dude ragequitted the forums. Now we'll never know just how pointless all 14 of his fucking threads were.

Post to Thread