ESP standard with multi pieces neck?

Updated
Rikus
Hello, it seems that my M-II has a multi pieces neck :x (the horror!) it has a maple neck and i can see 3 lines in the wood in the neck. It was made in 08. Since when did ESP start to put multipieces neck on their standard line?
strngthbyndstrngth

Hello,

it seems that my M-II has a multi pieces neck :x (the horror!) it has a maple neck and i can see 3 lines in the wood in the neck. It was made in 08. Since when did ESP start to put multipieces neck on their standard line?

A multi-piece neck is not a bad thing, it is supposed to add stability (less chance of warpage), but of course like anything, this point can be argued. Not sure when ESP started doing it, but they have for a long time.

Vivo

They also do it on the vipers, eclipses, M's an Horizons. Don't know since when they do this, but I don't think it's a big thing. A 3-piece-neck has got many positive aspects: the neck doesn't deform so fast when the air gets dry/humid, it is more stabile an easier to produce.
Maybe it deters the neck from vibrating 100 percent properly. But I don't think the sound is that big in contrast to a 1-piece-neck. Maybe someone who hears the grass growing and the fleas coughing will opposite me.
Just my opinion.

Nagash

in terms of stability, would a 5-piece (or more) be even more stabile ?

Vivo

I think it would (if properly sticked together). But the more shifts you have, the more the clear, swinging tone gets lost.
But let me tell you this: a friend of mine has got a martin acoustic with a neck made of plywood and the guitar still sounds pretty good. Not awesome, but solid.
A top of an acoustic made of plywood would definitely sound like crap, but i think for a neck it's okay.
A 3-piece-neck is no problem. Many guitar-tops of expensive and good guitars (electrics and acoustics) are made out of 2 or 3 pieces and they still sound great.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Vivo

Yes. As I know you can't get a new Horizon that is a 1-piece-neck. Don't worry. It's normal. ;)

Gfunk

You should have bought a Jackson. They are far superior because they have quartersawn (hopefully bolt-on) necks.

:(

Rikus

Yes. As I know you can't get a new Horizon that is a 1-piece-neck. Don't worry. It's normal. ;)

Thank you ;)

@Gfunk: i'm pretty happy with my axe, i barely noticed it was a multi pieces neck. I tried some Jacksons USA and they cost a lot more and can't offer any real difference in quality, plus i don't like painted-fat necks.

Justinschut

It's his thing, it's all he's got

Jibraun

3 piece is better then Joint head neck !!!

Vivo

Joint head is also not THAT bad. My esp has it and it still sounds awesome.

Jibraun

Owh..i tought only LTD come with Join head...someppl here say that it's not high end if u see joint head....
can explain..huhuhu

Zero

Both my '91 M-II Deluxe and '89 Mirage Custom Had/have had the 3-piece neck (one bolt-on, one neck-thru), and my 90's LTD M-II has the scarf joint. My friend's '06 LTD H-1000 has a 3-piece. No idea to any rhyme or reason why some are one way and others another.

Jibraun

oowh..like that...i donno about sound etc...i just wondering about the strengh when joining the head with neck...but now i see caparison also joint head..and it was high end !!!...

jl-austin

It has been my experience that 1 piece necks vibrate more, thus they tend to have more "feeling" to them, or they feel more "alive" while playing them. However, 3 piece necks tend to be more stable when it comes to staying in tune and such.

As far as sound, I play with so much gain, there is no way in the world I could tell a difference.

I would say for a bolt on a 1 piece is nice, for a neck thru a multi piece is the way to go (can't change out the necks you know)!

Post to Thread