My first post

Updated
gerryl98
Hello everyone!!! I picked up my first ESP guitar two weeks ago in a trade. It's a 2007 ESP Eclipse II FM. I'm still trying to work out some fret buzz and may end up taking it in for an adjustment. I have a question about the pots. All three have some play in them. I removed the knobs and when I grab the stem I can wiggle them. I removed the backplate and saw that these are CTS pots which are supposed to be quality pots. I find it odd that all three have this issue. Earlier in the day before I met up with the guy for the trade I went to Guitar Center and tried one out to see how this model felt in my hands. I did not notice any play in the pots. I'll probably get the pots changed out too because the wiggle makes the guitar feel cheap. Anyone have a similar issue?
Velt017

Not sure what you mean by wiggle exactly, but see if they came loose maybe?

gerryl98

Not sure what you mean by wiggle exactly, but see if they came loose maybe?

The pot is firmly attached the guitar via the nut. If you wiggle the stem...move it back and forth or side to side... there is some play. I thought it was the knob so i loosened the set screw and remove them to take that out of the equation. I checked my other guitars and there is no play at all with the pots...even my cheapie Squier. I'm pretty much set on replacing them. Just curious to see if others have or had this issue.

Nagash

The guitar shop close to where I do my studies entered a whole load of ESP/LTDs, and among these I think 6 or 7 Eclipses, 2 ESPs and 5 LTDs. Plus the other shop has one, and of all three ESP Eclipses, which I have played quite a lot now, none has this problem. Nor do the LTDs actually, but the wiggle thing might be the reason the other guy wanted to trade it. Just change the pots, this should do the job.

Nagash

I live between two guitar shops, and they have many Eclipses, 5 LTDs and 3 ESPs in total. None of them shows any signs of a similar issue, but you might have found out why the dude wanted to trade it. Change the pots, this should do it, if it doesn't... well, let's assume it will ^^.

Spoonylove

Post pics lolz.

brandono61cr

is it the actual pot or the just the knob ?

oh yeah , welcome!

eetfuk14

Could be the nut that holds the pot onto the body... All it takes is a 9/16 wrench, be careful of the finish tho. Welcome to the board

gerryl98

Could be the nut that holds the pot onto the body... All it takes is a 9/16 wrench, be careful of the finish tho. Welcome to the board
Thanks for the Welcome!!! Like I said, the nut is on firmly. I even removed the nut completely, pushed the pot out, and check the pots from inside the back cavity. Slight wiggle. I'm ordering three new CTS pots. Thanks

Dizzy

Just checked my Eclipse pots - definately no movement / play on the shaft.

Post to Thread