Would a Horizon be a good choice?

Updated
David_VI
Hey, I've posted previously, (probably a year or more ago) about wanting a Horizon... finally the time is coming nearer! I'm curious though.. would a Horizon suit me? I'm after a floyd rose version, with seymour duncans, flamed maple top. My guitar atm is an Ex400 so I decided not to get a Horizon with EMGs as I already have the EX and I believe EMGs pretty much make most guitars sound the same so it would be pointless paying so much money for another with EMGs? I play Metal (European metal mostly, power metal, folk metal bits of progressive metal and death/black metal) but want a diverse guitar as i'm doing a music degree, so I figured seymour duncans with the coil tap might be useful? I've never used a guitar with seymour duncans, i've only ever had a crappy guitar or my Ex so views on those pickups would be helpful also :) I appreciate your help and advice :) David
Pushead

The Duncans will give you sounds that the EMGs won't. Personally, I'm not a fan of the JB in the bridge of a mahogany bodied guitar, but there are other options if you decide you can't get enough output from it.

OutlawTorn

short answer: YES
long answer: YES

Gfunk

The pickups that come factory installed in a guitar cannot be changed.

Sorry.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Nagash

Change the pickups if they don't suit you a hundred percent, but anyway go with Duncans, they give your guitar a more individual sound. As you said it, EMGs kill the particularities of your guitar.

What I can say is this : I have played sevreal Horizons and my rhythm guitarist owns a Horizon FR-II, it's one of the best and probably the most versatile guitar I've ever played (at least concerning serial built guitars, not talking about customs). It gives you everything you can need in terms of technical possibilities (24 frets, OFR, neck-through, coil taps...) and it suits for many styles. ESP are renowned for making rock and metal guitars, but the Horizon FR-II sounds great when playing softer stuff as well, such as jazz, blues, and whatever else you might think of. Seriously, this guitar is a must have if you look for versatility. Go ahead and buy one ^^ !

Gfunk

The Horizon's two largest targeted demographic is homosexuals and Texans.

Creepingshredder

2 words: Fuck yes

David_VI

Thanks guys!

I'm extremely sure now.

One thing, on websites the see thru black Horizons look gloss black, is this just because of the camera and can you actually see the wood grain?

Thanks

Pushead

Firmware update FTW.

David_VI

Who knows, I suspect a Horizon is enough to force a firmware upgrade in my life.

Jibraun

Go go go Horizon...I have my Horizon With Duncan...It more natural sound then Horizon With EMG...But EMG give u more power tone for Riffing...haha

David_VI

I went went went Horizon! Its next to me bed right now.. awaiting a proper bonding session. I got up at 5am to get it in a sale then straight back to bed.
Pilgrimidge indeed

Nagash

pics

Velt017

Change the pickups if they don't suit you a hundred percent, but anyway go with Duncans, they give your guitar a more individual sound.

What the hell is an individual sound? A JB sounds like a JB in whatever guitar its in. This is why I don't like Seymore Duncan pushers. They can't describe what the hell tone it is they like, they just throw some word in there like "individual" sound, when the JB is probably the most popular bridge pick up in the world. So if you want to sound individually like everyone else with a JB in the bridge I suppose your statement is true. I realize you just said duncans, but generally people are talking about either the JB or the distortion duncans which along with the EMG 81 are the most overused pickups on the market.

The JB sucks, look at some DiMarzios or at least a custom 5 duncan.

Go go go Horizon...I have my Horizon With Duncan...It more natural sound then Horizon With EMG...But EMG give u more power tone for Riffing...haha

again, what the hell is a natural sound? its an electric guitar. Do you mean it sounds less compressed? More analogue? It certainly shouldn't make any sounds found in nature.

Sorry for sounding like a dick, but I can't take reading this shit about "oh by duncans instead of EMG cos duncans are (enter word that doesn't describe anything)"

Also EMGs sound different depending on what woods are in the guitar. Play an alder guitar with EMGs next to a Mahogany guitar with EMGs and I promise you, the sound won't be anywhere near the same. If you've only ever owned mahogany guitars, then of course EMGs sound the same in every mahogany guitar... the same pickup will sound the same in a guitar that has the same tonewoods.

Nagash

The words to describe tonal differencies between pickups are just indications, associations, and of course it's only when trying the pickup out that you might understand these descriptions. It's like the whole vocab on wine, they use words that don't seem to be at the right place ^^.

I also believe the JB isn't that good, of all SDs it's the first one I decided never to put into one of my guitars. I'm much more interested by Duncan Distortion, Duncan Custom, Alternative 8, Parallel Axis Distortion... And I never said he should put a JB in.

I'm against EMGs because as much as the JB and the Jazz pickups, they are too widely used. I'd give a try to EMG X series since I haven't played them very often, but I'm just tired of the standard EMGs. And besides I'm much more into passives, the HZ series seem cool but I prefer Duncans. I'm not that much of a DiMarzio guy either...

It's true you sound somehow like a dick but it's sometimes uselful to insist on such things since pickups are an essential part of a guitar's sound. What I have seen so far is this : I see very often that mahogany or rhythm-typed guitars use EMG 81/60 combo, and that alder or lead-typed guitars use the 81/85. Also, nearly every goddamn pro/USA Jackson has the same JB/Jazz combination. And I know that I dislike many Ibanez sounds, provided by Dimarzio. People have to see for themselves which sound is good for them.

Post to Thread