Looking for a new guitar

Updated
Sho
Curent set up is, fender squire strat with a frontman 15. As you can see I'm fairly new at playing guitar. I hate this guitar and have a hard time practicing due to disliking it. I like the looks of the Horizon III but no way can afford it's custom price tag. Is there anything like the HIII but with out the large price tag? Mainly looking for Alder body Neck through ebony fretboard 2 passive SD pickups Was looking at the NT-II or FR-II but they are mahogony. Why am I having such a hard time finding anything like this? Oh, forgot to say hi.
Sho

hmm this is a hard choice. should I stay away from a floyd rose if I'm going to do half step and other drop tunnings? The style I like is the super strat, so out of the guitars you posted I like the mh-1000nt the most. The closest I think to the one I'm looking at is the jackson sl-2h. Esp has the largest selection of 2x SD passives though. Can't make up my mind!

LemmonFury

Check out a Jackson DK2 or SL3.

Sho

those are S S H, looking for H H. Sorry should of stated that.

LemmonFury

DK2 is HH, SL3MG is HH, and if you wanna go for the big bucks, SL2 is HH.

Pushead

DK2 is HH, SL3MG is HH, and if you wanna go for the big bucks, SL2 is HH.

Do you know you spelled "Lemon" wrong?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Sho

Do you mean the DK2T? I really like the SL2H but it's 1.8k >_>

If esp still had the HIII design in an affordable guitar I would go for that one.

antipole

If esp still had the HIII design in an affordable guitar I would go for that one.
Try this then dear sir : LINK

LemmonFury

DK2M, DK2T, and the DK1 are HH, the normal DK2 is HSS though, never knew that.

If you are interested in bolt ons, I'd also suggest the DKMG and DKMGT, they have bolt on necks, but are arch tops, HH pickups, floyd and non floyd, and alder.

brandono61cr

can i ask how important the alder is to you ? did you find that alder IS YOUR TONE or did you play a guitar you liked that had an alder body ?

because mahogany is a great wood , albeit slightly darker in tone .

and do you know which duncan pups you want?? JB ,59 jazz, C5, custom ?

you could go for the DK2M and block off the trem (making it like a hard tail) or going for the MH-1000

EDIT: what is your real price range ?

jl-austin

Mainly looking for

Alder body
Neck through
ebony fretboard
2 passive SD pickups

Was looking at the NT-II or FR-II but they are mahogony.

I have a M1 ntb (which is VERY close to what you are describing, only 1 pu, and its an active).

However, I have found that I am not particularly fond of alder on a neck-thru guitar with an ebony fretboard. It seems VERY bright, VERY snappy. Mahogany would have been a better choice if you ask me.

Also, I would not worry to much about the pickups that come on the guitar, they are easy enough to change. Even if you get an active set, it is easy to swap them out for a passive set.

richardshipe

Given that you're looking for a high quality guitar without the large price tag, check ebay and craigslist for used guitars! The older ESP M-ii deluxe, mavericks, and horizon models run for roughly $600. And there usually are a ton of Ibanez Prestiges, rg550s, rg560s, rg570s in the triple digits range. And while I also prefer SD pickups, Dimarzio makes wonderful sounding pickups as well.

brandono61cr

^^^

Damn where do you live ? i wish my craigslist had deals like that !|I|I

IF there even is a decent ESP on the KC craigslist it's almost the price of a new one !(lucky bastard):rollin:rollin

richardshipe

^^^

Damn where do you live ? i wish my craigslist had deals like that !|I|I

IF there even is a decent ESP on the KC craigslist it's almost the price of a new one !(lucky bastard):rollin:rollin

I live on the East Coast near D.C. And I wish I had such deals all the time as well, unfortunately ESP standard deals hardly ever pop up. This area usually has plentiful Ibanez Prestige and Gibson sales though.
It still sucks that there aren't many ESP deals in this area though, the local guitar stores here sell only Korean-made Gibson copies, Gibsons, Fenders, and the occasional Ibanez Jem.

diadorastriker

Not this again...first off what is your price range

Sho

It's about 1000 if something strikes me I'm willing pay more. I'm honestly intrested in that edward but I read it's for Japan's market only.

Gah looks like only Russia and Japan can get those. No way to get them in north america.

brandono61cr

you can get a Edwards off ebay any day of they week , but you can get a M-I NTB for the same price .

or you could just stay in your price range LOL...

Sho

I wouldn't mind paying like 500 more out of my budget. However I have no idea on the edwards. 3000US dollar diff from the original HIII seems huge. Is it just because the HIII is custom made?

Didn't see the E-HR-130III on ebay though.

richardshipe

I wouldn't know the difference but I do know that Edwards are basically machine-made versions of ESP Standards. Well, not literally machine made but more machine-utilized craftsmanship is used.

Edwards are very fine guitars with amazingly comfortable necks.

jl-austin

Yep. I totally agree. I have an alder / ebony m1, a basswood / rosewood and also a basswood / maple Ibanez, and they don't really sound "that" much different. I can barely tell the difference of them when I listen to a recording of them all.

The REALLY sad thing is, they all have different pickups as well, the ESP has an EMG85, my 7 string Ibanez has dimarzios, and my 6 string Ibanez has Duncans.

The whole "wood" thing comes from players that use A LOT less gain than your typical ESP player. It makes more difference to the Gibson and PRS players than it does to an ESP or Ibanez player.

brandono61cr

ahhh yes ! if you play thru a mesa boogie at full bore you will barely be able to tell the difference between alder a mahogany . if you play classic rock you should be able to tho ...

diadorastriker

It would be too expensive guys. What i would do is pick up a used 400 series ltd and a amp that is of a higher quality. a better guitar with practice is not going to help you as much as a good amp with practice. A crappy guitar through a great amp is going to slay but a great guitar through a crappy amp is going to be shitty.

Sho

Is the 400 series the one with the flat bottom? I'm looking for a super strat.

The 2.5k one sounds tempting but it is still to much. The edwards may cost me that much soon as it hits the border though.

I sent that guy an email brandon.

diadorastriker, I have an amp budget seperate from my guitar budget.

So far I'm looking at
MH-1000NT
MH-1000FR (will swap pickups)
SL-2H (I'd want cobalt blue, which they don't make anymore -_-)
DKMG (If I decide to go with emgs by off chance.)
SL3MG
E-HR-130-3/BK (Not likely due to overall cost and hassle to get it)

Why don't they liecence Edwards for NA |I

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread