Horizon FR in snow white has mahogany body?

Updated
Beaten Beyond
I just got a snow white Standard Series export model Horizon FR. Beautiful guitar. First thing I noticed is that it is heavy. Following my standard new guitar ritual , the first thing I did is plopped it on the digital scales. It weighs 8.6lb. My see-through-red Horizon FR-II only weighs 7.6lb. Anyway, I pulled out the warranty/specs card and the ESP employee who filled that out checked off Mahogany for the body wood. And for the body top they checked off N/A. Export specs state that the guitar body should be ash. I assume that would mean ash wings and top. But now I wonder if this guitar actually does have mahogany wings and top. :confused: I'll pull the pickups when I get a chance to see if I can get a look at the grain pattern in the pickup cavities.
Mark K.

or you could unscrew the jack input or the backplate...maybe there is some wood exposed, though I doubt is... I think your best bet is the jack input..

Gfunk

ESP is known for their extremely accurate specification listings as well as painstakingly accounts for every serial number of every guitar they have ever made. If it says mahogany, you can bet your milk money that it is mahogany.

load more replies (1 of 1)
jl-austin

What does it sound like? Its pretty easy to tell the difference between Ash and mahogany. Play it acoustically, that is the best way to tell what the body is made out of.

Also, does the see thru red have a floyd? All that metal is heavy you know. I've had basswood guitars with floyds that are heavier than mahogany guitars without floyds. But I guess the FR-II is a flyod model?

Other than that, it could just be that one has a more dense body. It is not uncommon for weight variations. Although a whole pound does seem a little extreme.

OutlawTorn

^
:rollin :rollin

Beaten Beyond

Thanks for the info, folks. I pulled the pots and the output jack, and the wood that is exposed (which isn't much) is very light colored....not dark at all, so I'm guessing that it is indeed ash....and heavy ash at that. Acoustically, the guitar is a little brighter than my mahogany FR-II, but not by much. I was worried that ash/maple might be overly bright, but it is actually fairly well balanced. I'm not normally a fan of the JB pickup as it can be bright/piercing in some guitars, but it works perfect in the FR. At this point, I don't have any plans to change pickups....and that is rare.

Post to Thread