Viper versus Viper custom

Updated
Favole
I want to buy a viper and I like the finish of the custom. But a custom is so more expensive that a viper, so does a custom really worth the difference of price?
BroKV

Oh Canada

xchumfiestax

Is a custom really worth the difference of price?

That's entirely up to you

MV-CTM

based on the construction and woods they will sound completely different

Favole

Woods? both of them are mahogany, just one has flamed maple top. Is it enought to have a difference of sound?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Major Insane

Not every mahogany piece sounds the same, it might sound similar though.

The pieces of woods for the Custom shop will probably be handpicked and be of a higher quality. A top probably alters the sound a bit too (not sure on the amount).

But besides that, the build quality of the custom would be better.

If the price difference is worth it, is for you to decide. Trying em both would probably help you answer that.

Llexileon

In short - yes its worth the increased price. Thats my opinion anyway :p

In detail:

That isn't just a flame top for looks on the custom either, it's a top grade 3/4inch thick slab making up nearly half the body thickness. That piece of wood alone is worth hundreds of dollars in raw materials.

Of course the mahogany used in the custom is also of the highest grade, and hand picked/cut to balance in weight and grain with the other parts (neck/top/etc).

Since the custom is Neck Through with a thick maple top, it's actually more Maple than it is Mahogany, since those are just the wings.

The finish is applied by hand to form a thin resonant seal around the guitar and polished to a high gloss. This allows more resonance whilst maintaining durability and looks.

Its entirely built by hand, from top grade materials. It will balance perfectly, have flawless fretwork, sound powerful and articulate, and look generally badass.

There is a reason for the price tag ;)

Of course, wether or not these reasons are cause to spend the extra money, or notice any significant improvement, is down to the individual.

Beaten Beyond

I still hold to the idea that guitars are either winners or losers and they have to be evaluated one by one. And with guitars like this that are very hard to find, evaluating often means buying via shipment, then either keeping or selling.

A Custom piece has a very high likelihood of being a winner, but could also be a loser. Comparatively, a non-custom piece has more of a chance of being a loser, but could also turn out to be total win.

I a have Standard Series Horizon that is definitely a better guitar than a Custom Shop ESP I used to own.

Post to Thread