String gauge??

Updated
Asoa
I have had an ESP Eclipse II for over a year now, it came from the box fitted with esp 10's (what ever they are?) I swapped them over for 10-52 Ernie balls and have been happy. My band is now starting to gig more and as i have got quite an agressive style i really get fed up with tuning in between songs. I was therefore wondering about upping to gauge 11-54. I play in standard E tuning with the occasional drop D (more tuning on stage .....i know!!!) Do think this gauge is ok for the design of the guitar? are they too heavy and cause too much strain? does the guitar have to be set up to take the 11's sorry of this has been asked before thanks for any advice A
blistered earth

post some pics so we know what to tell you

cbbass123

its possible your not stringing it right. With locking tuners...there is no need to wrap string around post.

+1 post pics

swill777

You can use 11-54 in standard, but even on the 24.75" scale neck they're gonna be tight! I used to use 11-56 for tuning dropped on whole step down to D. You might have to tighten the truss rod just a bit if you have too little relief with the new strings... Super simple to check that...

One, the strings will ring on the lower frets (that will tell you that you don't have enough relief).
Two, put a capo on the 6th string first fret, then fret the guitar at the first fret where the neck contacts the body. You should be able to slide a regular business card under the 6th string and 7th fret. If you have a feeler gauge, look for .010 to .020 for a "normal" amount of relief.

Asoa

Thanks for your replies

I have got Gotoh Magnum tuners, not Sperzals. My mate has got Sperzals on his LTD and it seems that the the Gotohs are better, his guitar goes out of tune more often than mine does.

Couple of things to point out.

I do know how to string the Gotoh Magnums, personnally i love the gotohs and the way they work.

I know about lubricating the nut with graphite or nut sauce.

And when i say that the guitar goes out of tune, i don't mean drastically, i mean it just needs tweaking every 2 or 3 songs per gig, and was just wondering whether increasing to 11's would prolong them from being tuned to say every 4 or 5 songs.

Any way, i decided to try and have put on the 11's
There is a bit of fret buzz which is slightly annoying but i can live with it, i am not going to adjust the neck yet until i can prove that the 11's are any better thro a show.I have got a gig tonight so will see how it goes.

One comment i would make is the Ernie Ball 54-11's are 'kin heavy!!!, compared to 10's they feel like piano wire.

will report how i get on

Canadian_F_H

with larger strings you might have to file the nut slots to accommodate them. otherwise you end up with the string sticking when tuning up then slipping out while playing from bending etc and thus going way out of tune.

how are you tuning? i use a boss tuning pedal, its quick and easy and no racket... and i swear if my bassplayer keeps unplugging his shit to plug into that crap 5 dollar tuner he's got i'm gonna kill him... haha.

Asoa

Just to report back

Did the gig over the weekend, and apart from the obvious tuning to drop D the 11's really helped.

I am now considereing taking it to my local expert to set it up for 11's to get rid of all the fret buzz....cool.

Canadian....i use a Line 6 pro amp modeller which has a built in tuner, so no problem with cable noises etc (mind you the display is so small i need to squint to see it!!!) plus I know what you mean about bass players, ours refuses to play with his tuner in line, so he has to un plug to tune......'kin annoying!!!

thanks

Post to Thread