Eclipse II pulloffs slipping off frets on High E

Updated
Newfs
I seem to have an issue with my high E string and fretted notes to open string pulloffs. The string will slip of the fret before I complete the pulloff. Does anyone know if this is an issues with my set-up or my playing? Or is it just a result of the jumbo frets on the Eclipse?
Haakenstad

it's you. you're the problem

Newfs

it's you. you're the problem
lol thanks

Nitrobattery

it's you. you may just be used to wider fretboards

splinter_ESP

im gonna try and be a bit more helpful than "you're the problem" mate. I had the same issure too with my eclipse, the fretwire seems to have less bite than my other guitars, but it is partly your technique too. use as much fingertip (pad) as possible and make the pull as quick as possible but keep it loose. thicker strings help too.

(before people moan and whine about my technique being wrong, I dont care. I want to help Newfs, and this is how I overcame the same issue.)

johnny00

check out the string spacing. there should be about the same amount of fretboard from the high and low e strings to the edge of the fretboard. esps are really good with that, and mine are perfect, but stuff happens...
i've seen it before even on higher end guitars. the bridge wasn't aligned properly and the string was too close to the edge of the fretboard...if it is, you can have the saddles recut for better spacing, moving your e string further away from the edge...

Newfs

johnny,
Spacing looks good. I will have to agree with the previous post. ITS ME. Ive only played a strat for 10 years prior to getting the esp. Im learning how to adjust to the thinner faster neck on the ESPs.

Asoa

Hi Newfs, how long have you been playing your Eclipse?. I had the very same problem. In my experience i found that i was too agressive, my techniique did not suit the slinky neck and the jumbo frets of the eclipse. I was so used playing thicker Gibson style necks, i could not fret a chord without pulling it sharp, (this was particuarlly noticable when recording) I had to re adjust my technique to suit. The eclipse is soooooo easy to play, just touch the strings and the chords ring, again with pull offs, just try not to try too hard (if you get what i mean)

I now have been playing the Eclipse for 6 months and will never go back.

hope this helps

Newfs

Hi Newfs, how long have you been playing your Eclipse?. I had the very same problem. In my experience i found that i was too agressive, my techniique did not suit the slinky neck and the jumbo frets of the eclipse. I was so used playing thicker Gibson style necks, i could not fret a chord without pulling it sharp, (this was particuarlly noticable when recording) I had to re adjust my technique to suit. The eclipse is soooooo easy to play, just touch the strings and the chords ring, again with pull offs, just try not to try too hard (if you get what i mean)

I now have been playing the Eclipse for 6 months and will never go back.

hope this helps

This is exactly what is happening to me. Never mind playing chords sharp... im usually pushing the low E right of the fretboard.

I agree - I just have to get used to a less agressive playing style. A local Luther said the guitar is fine with maybe a very minor twist to the neck, he said nothing to worry about. But he said this setup has to be played like butter... Right now the butter is mushed all over my fingers! lol.

Post to Thread