viper picking up radio !!??

Updated
slate
hey y'all , my viper is picking up radio signals at high volume . i've eliminated everything else in my chain - out of 12 guitars only the viper does this . its obviously the electronics at fault somewhere - anybody know where to start ?
xchumfiestax

you sure it's the guitar and not your amp?

Fikealox

Check the earths in your guitar with a multimeter and check whether and how the shielding is connected (the black paint in your cavities is shielding paint and should be earthed) :) Try using a different (and different length) instrument cable, too. I really do expect it's an earthing problem that can be fixed with a bit of re-soldering of joints, but worst comes to worst you can solder a cap across the jack and bleed radio frequencies to earth.

tmoori

you got emgs? this happened at practise on a few occassions with my guitars with emgs...i was picking up german radio station lol!

slate

yes ive got emg's - got em in other guitars too but they dont pick up the radio .
it is more apparent with my monster cables than with others that i have (george l's / cordial) , but i like the monsters... and its definitely the viper , not the amp .

DixSerina

I've only had this happen to me out of my amp, the next door neighbor has some huge ass anttena he uses for communicating to some guy down the street. I don't know if he knows the telephone exists.

Metahead

happens on my friends rich, idk whats going on, cant help

Fikealox

Definitely sounds like it's an earthing problem causing your guitar (and instrument cable) to act like an antenna. If you have a multimeter you should check the earths in your guitar (especially the wire going to the jack). If you don't have one, you can still check visually. It might be a dry solder joint or something else that isn't visible to the naked eye, but it can't hurt to have a look.

You can do some simple checks by plugging the guitar into the amp, and carefully using a length of wire to connect earthed points (the back of pots etc) directly to the earthed part of the output jack. If you hear a change in the interference, you can confirm that the section of wiring you're bypassing is faulty and the cause of the problem. **You're only dealing with 9 volts here, but still be careful, it's always better safe than sorry.

kgry

Definitely sounds like it's an earthing problem

:confused:

Fikealox

Why are you confused?

kgry

WTF is earthing? Do you mean grounding?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Fikealox

It's a bit hard to see what's going on with the wiring in the photo, but I think rewiring it is a good idea and will probably solve your problem one way or another. Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

Post to Thread